1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Drohpolitik

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by spohreis, Feb 12, 2013.

1. spohreis

spohreis Senior Member

Pato Branco- Paraná- Brasil
    Portuguese-Brazil
    Hello,

Nordkoreas neuer Machthaber Kim Jong Un hat sich entschieden: Mit dem neuerlichen Atomtest zeigt er, dass er seine Drohpolitik gegenüber den USA fortsetzen will. Source

How does one translate Drohpolitik from German to English? threatening policy?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. manfy Senior Member

Singapore
    German - Austria
    I'd go with 'politics of threat'
    i.e. "With the recent nuclear test he shows that he intends to continue his politics of threat towards the USA."

However, I'm not a native speaker and I have never run across that term in English.
    The translation looks good to me but you better wait for a native speaker to see if it is idiomatic.

3. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    I agree with manfy but would use plural: politics of threats. Or also: politics of intimidation, menacing politics, etc.

4. manfy Senior Member

Singapore
    German - Austria
    Indeed, in plural it sounds a whole lot better. Thanks, bh7!

Politics of intimidation sounds good, too, and it is a well-known term. But we have a direct equivalent for that in German: Einschüchterungspolitik
    And somehow in German, Einschüchterungspolitik and Drohpolitik feel quite different and I wouldn't use them interchangeably. But I can't quite put the finger on it why this is so...