"Du" mit Großbuchstabe

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by junglist, Jan 22, 2013.

1. junglist Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - England
    Hallo,

ich sehe neulich "Du" und "Dir" usw. geschrieben mit Großbuchstaben, aber ins Wortbuch sie sind mit Kleinbuchstaben. Sind beide richtige? Wenn ja, was ist der Unterschied? Beispielsatz:

Wenn Du noch Fragen haben solltest, helfe ich Dir gerne.

Danke sehr!

2. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Uppercase "Du" is only used in apellations (Anreden) in letters and letterlike documents as in your example.
    I prefer it in such documents because it shows respect.
    Due to the reform of orthography it is not necessary anymore to write it uppercase.
    Due to the reform of 2004/2006 uppercase "Du" is allowed in letters again.
    Many people did not agree to lowercase letter and kept uppercase "Du" even if it was wrong.

I kept it, too. I did not like lowercase "du" in letters addressing me. It always seemed impolite to me.
    (There is a difference between politeness and formality).

Er sagte: "Wenn du noch Fragen haben solltest, helfe ich dir gerne." - here it is lowercase.

3. junglist Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - England
    Thank you very much, that's the feeling I got from what I have seen. I wonder then if when I used "Ich" capitalised before I realised it wasn't supposed to be, it sounded arrogant.

4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    "Ich" is always lowercase except at the beginning of a sentence and in a very few cases to show arrogance. Uppercase "Ich" is near to the "Wir" form for kings.
    Example: Erst komme Ich, dann kommen die anderen. - this is non standard spelling of "ich" to show arrogance. It is very different to English.

5. junglist Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - England
    Very interesting, thank you!