Dual and plural non-iDaafa forms for the three cases

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jmt356, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jmt356 Senior Member

I found the below chart on this forum and I believe I found the following mistakes in the non-iDaafa forms:
    - The dual nominative should be والدانُ, not والدانِ and والدتانُ, not والدتانِ
    - The dual accusative should be وَالِدَيْنَ, not وَالِدَيْنِ and وَالِدَتَيْنَ, not وَالِدتَيْنِ.
    - The plural nominative should be والدونُ, not والدونَ.
    - The plural genitive should be والدِينِ, not والدِينَ.

Am I correct?

Nouns with dual انِ/يْنِ plural ونَ/ينَ mas. and ات fem. Nominative Accusative Genitive
    Non-iDaafa Singular وَالِدٌ/الوَالِدُ – وَالِدَةٌ/الوَالِدَةُ وَالِدًا/الوَالِدَ – وَالِدَةً/الوَالِدَةَ وَالِدٍ/الوَالِدِ – وَالِدَةٍ/الوَالِدَةِ
    Dual وَالِدَانِ/الوَالِدَانِ – وَالِدَتَانِ/الوَالِدَتَانِ وَالِدَيْنِ/الوَالِدَيْنِ – وَالِدَتَيْنِ/الوَالِدَتَيْنِ وَالِدَيْنِ/الوَالِدَيْنِ – وَالِدَتَيْنِ/الوَالِدَتَيْنِ
    Plural (3+) وَالِدُونَ/الوَالِدُونَ – وَالِدَاتٌ/الوَالِدَاتُ وَالِدِينَ/الوَالِدِينَ – وَالِدَاتٍ/الوَالِدَاتِ وَالِدِينَ/الوَالِدِينَ – وَالِدَاتٍ/الوَالِدَاتِ
    iDaafa with pronoun “my” Singular وَالِدِي - وَالِدَتِي وَالِدِي - وَالِدَتِي وَالِدِي – وَالِدَتِي
    Dual وَالِدَايَ - وَالِدَتَايَ وَالِدَيَّ - وَالِدَتَيَّ وَالِدَيَّ – وَالِدَتَيَّ
    Plural (3+) وَالِدِيَّ - وَالِدَاتِي وَالِدِيَّ - وَالِدَاتِي وَالِدِيَّ – وَالِدَاتِي
    iDaafa with pronouns other than "my" and with other words Singular وَالِدُ[هم]/‏ وَالِدُ [...]‏‏ - وَالِدَتُـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدَةُ [...]‏ وَالِدَ[هم]/‏‏ وَالِدَ [...]‏‏ - وَالِدَتَـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدَةَ [...]‏ /وَالِدِ[هم]‏ وَالِدِ [...]‏ ‏ - وَالِدَتِـ[ـهم]/وَالِدَةِ [...]‏
    Dual وَالِدَا[هم]/‏ وَالِدَا [...]‏ – وَالِدَتَا[هم]/‏ وَالِدَتَا [...]‏ وَالِدَيْـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدَيْ [...]‏ – وَالِدَتَيْـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدَتَيْ [...]‏ وَالِدَيْـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدَيْ [...]‏ – وَالِدَتَيْـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدَتَيْ [...]‏
    Plural (3+) وَالِدُو[هم]/‏ وَالِدُو [...]‏ – ‏وَالِدَاتُـ[ـهم]/وَالِدَاتُ [...]‏ وَالِدِيـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدِي [...]‏ – ‏وَالِدَاتِـ[ـهم]/وَالِدَاتِ [...]‏ وَالِدِيـ[ـهم]/‏ وَالِدِي [...]‏ – ‏وَالِدَاتِـ[ـهم]/وَالِدَاتِ [...]

2. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    Hello!

I am afraid you are not. The forms given in the chart are correct.

HTH
    S

3. Tensor78 Senior Member

U.S. English
    No offense, but you're making this 1,000 times more difficult than it needs to be. This is definitely one of the easier aspects of Arabic grammar.

The dual nom. is -aani. The dual oblique (the acc. and gen. together) is -aini. This applies to all words. I haven't seen an irregular form yet.

The sound masculine plural nom. is -uuna and the oblique is -iina.

When in an idaffa or with attached enclitic, drop the nun and anything that comes after it.

That's it.

4. jmt356 Senior Member

You missed the plural feminine accusative and genitive.

Here is my attempt to summarize the non-iDaafa forms:
    - For the dual, the nominative forms all share انِ and the genitive and accusative all share َيْنِ.
    - For the plural masculine, the nominative is ُونَ and the accusative and genitive is ِينَ
    - For the plural feminine, the nominative is اتٌ / اتُ and the accusative and genitive is اتٍ / اتِ.

That’s only for the non-iDaafa forms. There are also iDaafa forms for “my” and for other pronouns other than “my” and with other words.

I count 98 forms in that chart. That’s complicated for someone whose native language has only two forms: parent / parents!

5. jmt356 Senior Member

The حركات in my above post that appear above a circle should be to the right, not left of constructions they are attached to. I couldn't get them to display on the right. They represent what should come before the constructions.

6. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    Hello!

Actually no. Dual genitive and accusative, just like Tensor78 said, is يْنِ (-aini), not يْنَ (-aina); and plural masculine in the nominative is ونَ (-uuna), not ونُ (-uunu).

It actually IS much simpler than it might seem if you just look at charts.

HTH
    S

7. Tensor78 Senior Member

U.S. English
    I assumed as such.

You think that that's a lot? Wait until you get to verb forms!

In all seriousness, Arabic is all about patterns. However, you have to approach the pattern schemes in the right manner. Here, I'd have to say that you are taking a less than desirable approach.

Instead of trying to memorize each form, internalize the rules the govern the use of suffixes and enclitic pronouns. Then, apply those rules to the specific situation at hand.

8. jmt356 Senior Member

My summary is correct and corresponds to what you say, but the حركات in my post that appear above a circle should be to the right, not left of constructions they are adjacent to; I could not get the right to left formatting to work.

9. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    This circle appears with some fonts when a حركة is preceded by another حركة (except for the shaddah of course). Make sure when typing that you put no more than one حركة for any letter.