1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

During when / during which

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vera-sartre, Apr 29, 2008.

1. vera-sartre New Member

Turkish-English
    The term 'The Great Depression' refers to a time in the 1930s during (when/which) the entire world economy was depressed.

Which word is suitable for this sentence and why? If you help me to understand this question, I will appreciate this.

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Which one do you think is correct, Vera?

3. vera-sartre New Member

Turkish-English
    I chose 'When' because it mentions time(1930) here. But the answer key says the correct answer is 'which'.

4. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    For some mysterious reason during when sounds absolutely terrible ... but during which doesn't:confused:

5. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español

You could use either "during which" or "when." "During when" sounds redundant.

6. vera-sartre New Member

Turkish-English
    Okay then :) When I see a question like this, I will choose 'Druing which'. Thank you

7. Dreamchaser Junior Member

South Korea
    Korean (Seoul & Gyeongsang-do)
    Hello, Vera.
    Do you have the concept of relative pronouns and relative clauses?
    I'll show you the process of forming a relative clause.

The two original sentences are here:
    (A) The term 'The Great Depression' refers to a time in the 1930s.
    (B) The entire world economy was depressed during the 1930s.

Let's combine (A) with (B) by using a coordinate conjunction 'and'.

The term 'The Great Depression' refers to a time in the 1930s, and the entire world economy was depressed during the 1930s.

Do you see the redunduncy? there are two 'the 1930s'.
    Get rid of the second one. The clause had 'the 1930s' will be a relative clause. I'll just leave a blank where 'the 1930s' existed.

The term 'The Great Depression' refers to a time in the 1930s, and The entire world economy was depressed during ________.

Now, we are going to change the conjunction 'and' to a relative pronoun 'which'.

The term 'The Great Depression' refers to a time in the 1930s [ which The entire world economy was depressed during ________ ].

The sentence that I bracketed is a relative clause, and 'which' is the relative pronoun. The noun phrase that the relative clause describes is 'the 1930s', which we call the antecedent.

The preposition 'during' in the relative clause can move in front of the relative pronoun 'which'.

The term 'The Great Depression' refers to a time in the 1930s [ during which The entire world economy was depressed ________ ].

Above sentence is what you asked.
    Here, 'during which' can be replaced with the relative adverb 'when' that refers to the attribute of the antecedent 'the 1930s', time.

The term 'The Great Depression' refers to a time in the 1930s [ when The entire world economy was depressed ________ ].

Do you understand? Please check the process thoroughly again.

8. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    during which:tick:

during when:cross: