1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. ocram3 New Member

United Kingdom
    how do you translate the expression: 'ashes to ashes, dust to dust' ?

2. transparente Senior Member

at home
    Spanish/Argentina
    Lo que de polvo es, al polvo vuelve. (If I´m not mistaken)

3. Burócrata Junior Member

United States
    English
    Polvo eres y en polvo te convertirás.

- Saludos

4. transparente Senior Member

at home
    Spanish/Argentina

Yes! That´s right! :D

5. Doval

Doval Senior Member

New York City, USA
    USA English/British Caribbean
    polvo eres y en polvo te convertirás

6. Snubby

Snubby Senior Member

This phrase is not found in the Bible, but is taken from the book of common prayer, and it is based on Genesis 3:19 ("thou art dust, and to dust thou shalt return"). Doval provided a translation of GEN 3:19 above, which is somewhat at variance with the "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" phrase in the original question. I'm not sure how the original should be translated, so will await input from a nativo.

7. guerrosos Junior Member

Aurora, IL
    Mexico, Spanish
    "Polvo eres y en polvo te convertirás"...de algo sirve ir a Misa.

8. Doval

Doval Senior Member

New York City, USA
    "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust" is derived directly from Genesis 3:19 and is meant to convey the exact same meaning.

9. guerrosos Junior Member

Aurora, IL
    Mexico, Spanish
    I agree with Doval, that is exactly what it means.

10. Snubby

Snubby Senior Member

I agree that is what it means (based on GEN 3:19), but it is not a very literal translation of the English into Spanish.

11. outkast Senior Member

English, USA
    Genesis 3:19: "...for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
    Génesis 3:19: "...pues polvo eres, y al polvo volverás".
    No ashes anywhere though...

12. Doval

Doval Senior Member

New York City, USA
    Don't take my word for it. Explore it yourselves. Thr phrase derives from the Book of Common Prayer. Nevertheless, it is taken directly from Genesis 3:19, and its meaning is the same as in Genesis 3:19. "Earth," "ashes," and "dust" are all meant to convey the same thing: POLVO.

13. Snubby

Snubby Senior Member

That was the point I made in my original post above.
    The Book of Common Prayer (of the Anglican Church) based its "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" funeral prayer off GEN 3:19. However, the phrase "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" does not appear in the English language Bible (nor in any Spanish language Bible), since it is not a literal translation from the Hebrew original text. You translated the GEN 3:19 partial verse into Spanish exactly as it should be translated, though the phrase in the original posting by Ocram3 ("ashes to ashes, dust to dust") is not found in the Bible. It was not my intention to cause this thread to devolve into biblical hermeneutics, so I'll withdraw from any further responses here.

14. Doval

Doval Senior Member

New York City, USA
    Here is the actual rite.

15. ocram3 New Member

United Kingdom
    Thank you all for the info.. very interesting stuff indeed..

16. ocram3 New Member

United Kingdom
    I suppose that expression comes from the Anglican and other protestant churches.. As in the Catholic Church something else like 'convert and believe in the Gospel' is said during the imposition of the ashes..
    thanks again!

17. Doval

Doval Senior Member

New York City, USA
    Anglican, I believe. As for the Anglican church, I personally consider it more Catholic than protestant. Seems its main protests were over papal authority and the right to divorce. King Henry VIII's right to divorce, that is.

18. _Leona_ Senior Member

UK
    Spain - Spanish
    So how about cenizas a las cenizas, polvo al polvo?

19. IOUABOOK Senior Member

Spain, Spanish/English UK
    "Polvo eres y en polvo te vas a convertir" es la expresión que conozco....

20. mibeke

mibeke Senior Member

London, UK
    Spain
    Desde que soy pequeño he escuchado en misa "POLVO ERES Y EN POLVO TE CONVERTIRÁS" AUNQUE COMO EN TODO NO SOLO HAY UNA TRADUCCION según la traducción de la biblio encontraremos distintas expresiones pero sin duda, me atrevo a decir que es esa la más generalizada

21. mibeke

mibeke Senior Member

London, UK
    Spain
    polvo a polvo ceniza a ceniza ni de coña

22. ocram3 New Member

United Kingdom
    Very true. The Anglican Church is the most like the Catholic Church, in fact, it observes the exact same practices (liturgy,etc.) The only difference is that the Transubstantiation- the changing of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Jesus- does not take place, as it does not take place in any other Christian Church apart from the Eastern Orthodox Churches. The Anglican Church is the equivalent of an excommunicated church, caused by the ex-communication of King Henry VIII, who then proclaimed himself its leader thus separating his whole nation from papal authority.

23. ocram3 New Member

United Kingdom
    Polvo eres y en polvo te convertiras sounds like the winner.. thank you everyone