1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Dwell management

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Nichis, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Nichis New Member

Madrid
    Castellano, España
    Buenas,
    a ver si alguien me puede aclarar que quiere decir exactamente "dwell management" en esta frase (contexto, gestión de una línea de metro):
    "Operational efficiencies: Significantly improved dwell management, with better management of door closure"
    Como "dwell" es habitar podría ser algo como "gestión de la habitabilidad" (¿pero en un metro?).
    Un saludo y gracias.

2. Poquoson711

Poquoson711 Senior Member

USA, Virginia
    English - USA
    Perhaps this is a misspelling, and the author really meant "dwelling", or possibly "well"? As-is it doesn't make much sense.

3. Nichis New Member

Madrid
    Castellano, España
    And "dwelling management", what does it mean in the context of a subway management?

4. Poquoson711

USA, Virginia
    English - USA
    I suspect that they want to prevent homeless people from using the subway as a dwelling place...

5. Nichis New Member

Madrid
    Castellano, España
    Thank you, I think it´s a good point of view

6. phantom2007 Senior Member

Madrid
    spain, Spanish
    For me they are referring to time spent by the train at the station or a related concept.

This word is used in industrial laser label printing technology to name the time the laser beam stays staionary on one point of the character being written

7. Poquoson711

USA, Virginia
    English - USA
    That is very possible, and something that I hadn't thought of. Every time the train doors need two or more tries to close properly, that is a time delay that would reduce the train's operational efficiency.

8. Nichis New Member

Madrid
    Castellano, España
    Thank you guys