1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Dysarz/Disarz

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Jabir, May 7, 2014.

1. Jabir

Jabir Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Hello,

Can someone tell me if this name (Disarz/Dysarz) is actually Polish or Ukranian, please?

Does any Polish here know the origin of this name?

Thanks!

2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    There are approx. 350 persons that have name Dysarz in Poland. The name is spelled in a normal Polish way. Nobody named Disarz is registered, and this spelling does not conform the Polish spelling rules (an "i" does not follow a "d" in original Polish words).
    The name has no meaning, and I don't know the origin. Probably it is a foreign loan with polonized spelling.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    The name Dysarz might be related to a German name Discher, which means a carpenter. I have no idea if Ukrainians use that name.

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    There are about 1000 people with the surname Discher in Germany, and the Polish Dysarz are concentrated in the Pomeranian Voivodship, so your theory might be plausible, if it could be corroborated by a similar sound shift in other German loans (sch --> s before an "-arz" ending).

5. Jabir

Jabir Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Thanks, guys. Actually, family name said to be from Ukranian origin, but everytime I google it just come up with Polish results...

6. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Who said that the name is of Ukrainian origin? There is nothing in it indicating such origin. The "dy" compound may be Ukrainian or Polish, but the "rz"* ending is unique for Polish (in Ukrainian it would be an "r").

*Czech has a phonetic (but not graphic) equivalent of the ending, written with the letter "ř".