E' meglio la sua traduzione della mia

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by brucomela1985, Jan 4, 2010.

1. brucomela1985 New Member

Cagliari, Milan
    Italian
    devo tradurre "E' meglio la sua traduzione della mia"
    è corretto dire "her translation is better than mine"?
    o si dice "her translation is better than mine one?"

grazie mille

2. Liuk99 Senior Member

Italian
    :)

3. brucomela1985 New Member

Cagliari, Milan
    Italian
    grazie per la velocità:)

4. johnnylucas Junior Member

London
    English - England
    Ciao a tutti!

I always thought (maybe I'm wrong) that a descriptive word after a noun (and often a form of the verb 'to be') is an adjective, and a descriptive word after any other verb is an adverb. Eg:
    He is quick.
    He runs quickly.
    These computers are generally quite slow.
    These computers generally run quite slowly.

Italian grammar books say that 'bad' is cattivo and badly is 'male'. But I'm not sure I have ever seen the word cattivo in this forum, while I have seen male a lot. And more importantly, I have seen meglio many times when in the grammar books it is written that it should be migliore as an adjective. E.g. the title of one WR thread is 'È meglio la sua traduzione della mia' -- surely 'traduzione' is a noun, so why isn't it migliore? As I have said, I have seen 'meglio' or 'bene' many times when I was expecting 'migliore' or 'buono'. Sono un po' confuso!:confused:

Grazie

5. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
  6. johnnylucas Junior Member

London
    English - England
    Thanks rrose, that was very useful.

I have collected 3 or 4 grammar books over the last few years (a bad habit) and not a single one mentions that meglio can be an adjective! So thanks for that. The only thing I have to ponder now is when, why and how much you should use one or the other (meglio and migliore) as comparatives...