1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"e" (non-lexical filler)

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by turkjey5, May 27, 2013.

1. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    What function does "e" serve in the following sentences? My text says it marks a predicate following a subject.
    Thanks

Biro mo ba naman e si Mayor ang kinuhang ninong.
    Biro mo ba naman kinuhang ninong e si Mayor.

2. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    It is simply a non-lexical filler. In both instances, the "e" simply introduces a pause in the flow of the speech. This pause can provide emphasis to what comes next or can give the speaker a brief period to gather his thoughts. In any case, the "e" can be dropped completely from the sentences and the meaning will remain intact.

3. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

I think the e in your given samples might be also the "ay". 1.) Biro/kuruin mo ba naman ay si Meyor ang ginawang ninong!/ Biro mo ba naman ang kinuhang ninong ay si Meyor!

4. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    Yes, it's supposed to be short for "ay".
    Thanks!

5. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    "Ay" is an inversion marker. If you want to use it correctly in your text, it would be in a manner similar to this:

Though your original text is completely understandable, it would appear more polished if you drop the non-lexical filler "e". It would be similar to speaking English without uttering fillers such as eh, ah, uh, ​etc.

6. latchiloya Junior Member

Filipino
    At the current phase of our National Language, I wanna say, it has a grammatical function