1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

E' proprio questo che non va

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by kpasc, Jan 17, 2013.

1. kpasc New Member

Milan, Italy
    English - Canada
    Hello,

I'm living in Italy sending a birthday card to my younger brother (8 years). He doesn't speak any Italian but I think it would be interesting for him to have, so I want to translate it into English on the inside. Would you please tell me if my translation is correct, and help me translate the second sentence?

The card says "Un anno di più e ... non sei per niente cambiato!" I was going to translate this as "One more year, and you haven't changed a bit!"

Then, "E' proprio questo che non va!", which I don't understand at all.

Thank you in advance!

2. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hi kpasc - I'm sure you will hear from some native Italian speakers, but in the meantime, my guess is that the card is intended for someone slightly older (than 8 years!:)) and means something like - you haven't changed a bit - it's so unfair! or that just isn't right! (with a hint of envy, I suppose).....

3. kpasc New Member

Milan, Italy
    English - Canada
    Hi there,
    It's a Disney card, so I assume it must be intended for kids. Your translation seems fine to me, but maybe I'll adjust to be extra-friendly in tone.

It is written "E' proprio questo che non va!!! :)"

4. Skin Senior Member

Italian
    I agree with Joan on her translation "that just isn't right", but I think there's a slightly different ring to it. It'a a backhanded compliment: "you keep looking as young as before" (you haven't changed a bit, and that is all to the good), when in fact "you should be more mature, when you grow older" (that just isn't right, you should improve).

Bye

5. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    For an adult, it's a compliment. For an 8-year-old, I guess he's hoping to look at least a year older!

6. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Maybe in this context you could say
    "One year older and you haven't changed a bit"
    "What's up with that?"

7. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    "What's up with that?" :thumbsup:

8. kpasc New Member

Milan, Italy
    English - Canada
    LOVE it. Thanks for your help!

9. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    :)

If the purpose is to send an appropriate message to an 8-year old, I like the slant you gave it. But that's not how I'd translate "E' proprio questo che non va!" (whether appropriate for an 8-year-old, or not). This is how I'd translate it:

"One year older and you haven't changed a bit! That's the whole problem!"

10. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian biling
    That's exactly how I read it, curio. :D

11. Passante

Passante Senior Member

Bologna
    italian
    Un 'that don't roll' sarebbe sbagliatissimo?

12. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    I'm a bit unclear and it might affect the help you get. I thought you were saying your brother is 8 years younger than you. Or are you saying your brother is 8 years old?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Phil

13. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    I agree with this interpretation. However, as others have noted, it's an adult comment and is a little out of place in a card for an 8-year-old.

14. Fooler Senior Member

Padova
    Italian (Italy)
    Mia modesta interpretazione

"One more year, and you haven't changed a bit!" And despite that (one more year), it's not really fair !

Forse qui si vuol dare il significato che gli anni passano ma per fortuna lo spirito/aspetto rimangono sempre giovani ?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    I think this is too long. It's not snappy enough.

Also, there is a difference between 'not really' and 'really not'. The latter is much stronger. So:

"One more year, and you haven't changed a bit! . . it's really not fair!

16. Fooler Senior Member

Padova
    Italian (Italy)
    That's what I meant to say

17. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    In answer to your question, Passante, Yes. I'm not familiar with this expression (which sounds like slang), but I can confirm that "that don't" is terrible grammar.

18. Passante

Passante Senior Member

Bologna
    italian
    Thank's :eek: