EA: دي آخرتها؟

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Josh_, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Hi all,

In the following context, I'm wondering how "دي آخرتها؟" could best be translated?:

واحد يسيب واحدة بعد علاقة استمرت خمس سنين وبعدين تشوفه في الشارع ويعمل نفسه ما يعرفهاش فلما تزعل وتتأثر وتشتكي لصاحبتها تقول، "دي آخرتها؟ يعمل نفسه مش شايفني بعد كل الحب اللي كنا فيه."

A man leaves a woman after a relationship that lasted five years. Later on, she sees him out in the street, but he acts as though he does not know her. She gets upset and emotional, and cries to her friend saying, "di akhrit-ha? He acted as though he didn't see me, after all the love that was between us."

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Approximately:
    'So this is what things have come to?'
    'So this is how it's ended up?'
    it/things refers to 'the situation', or 'our situation' in this case.
    The intention of the woman is to blame the man and say how shameful his action was.

3. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Thanks إسكندراني. Those are how I would have translated it as well.

As an aside: rereading the Arabic sentence, I think a better translation to the last part might be "...after all the love that we had."

I got this out of that same book I mentioned in the other thread (Arabi Liblib: Idioms and Other Expressions) in which it is as explained as meaning:

المعنى حرفي سلبي: للتعبير عن زعلنا لما حد يعمل حاجة ما كناش متوقعينها منه
    (Negative, literal meaning: [used] to express our dismay when someone does something we were not expecting him/her to do.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    وفيها نبرة من الغضب واللوم
    I don't see this expression as gentle and romantic is what I'm saying :) It's angry and scolding.

5. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Thank you for the note on connotation.:)