EA: ورايا مشوار

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by scetis, May 26, 2011.

1. scetis Senior Member

English- Canadian
    I've always understood ورايا to mean behind (me). However in the context of ورايا مشوار it seems sort of funny. Does it mean that the something I was doing, the errand (مشوار) is finished? What what be the exact translation for it?
  2. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    It means he has an errand to do, or that there's somewhere he has to go to.
    ورايا indicates that he has to do something. We also say ورايا مذاكرة كتير، ورايا شغل لازم أخلَّصه، ورايا حاجات تتعمل ...
    If it helps in anyway, you can imagine the duty as following you, pushing you to bear your responsibility or do what you have to do. :)
  3. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    It sounds wierd, because we, as native English speakers "run errands" or just "do errands." I would imagine non-native English speakers would think it is funny to "run an errand." How can one run an errand? Is that like running your dog?:)
  4. hiba Senior Member

English- US
    ورا is easier understood as "after" which can be confusing if you are thinking of وراء in MSA.
    I would think of it here as "I have a big task in front of me".. or place to go that's not convenient.. depending on the context.
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  5. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Yes, "in front of me." That is the phrase I wanted to use. In English, when someone has something they need to do it is often figuratively referred to as being "in front of," whereas in Arabic, the task is figuratively "behind."
  6. scetis Senior Member

English- Canadian
    Wow. That was deeper than I expected :) It's a great way to think of it... thanks.
  7. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    You could say قدّامي أجازة because that's a positive thing.
  8. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    If EA is anything like IA in this regards (and I believe they are), it has nothing to do with negative and positive. ورايا is for something that you have to do; قدامي is for something that is coming-up without you doing anything.

As for why it's ورايا; I believe it does have to do with being "behind" you, it's a duty that you carry on your back together with all your other duties and responsibilities, hence behind you.
  9. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    That's probably true.
    These things delve into the realm of the subconscious!