EA: يا optional?

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Pathawi, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Pathawi Junior Member

Oakland, California, USA
    English - USAian
    I did a search through existing threads, but يا occurs so frequently that it was hard to figure out if my question had already been asked. I have been under the impression, since I began learning Arabic, that the word يا was necessary in terms of address. However, I have a friend from Upper Egypt who quite consistently omits يا before my name, terms of endearment (حبيبى، صديقى), &c. I'm not about to start copying his style of speech, but how should I understand his usage? Does it sound casual to native Egyptian Arabic-speakers? Uneducated? Slangy? Just plain wrong? Is this geographically specific, or can it be heard elsewhere in the Arabic-speaking world?

---
    Bob Offer-Westort
    Oakland, California, USA

2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It's essentially optional, often we can omit it.

3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I almost never use يا when calling someone. But it's hard to drop it in the middle of a sentence.

So, for example, when I'm calling my mom (from a distance, or to get her attention to something) I say ماما, but when I'm addressing her, I use يا , like:لو سمحتي يا ماما or شكرًا يا ماما . It would be difficult to drop يا in similar instances.

I think this is the same with all Egyptians, and it doesn't say anything about education, regional or social status.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. Pathawi Junior Member

Oakland, California, USA
    English - USAian
    Thanks, both of you.

---
    Bob Offer-Westort
    Oakland, California, USA