1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

EA: Active participle of two-letter verbs

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by guakamole, Aug 1, 2014.

1. guakamole New Member

Russian
    Hello,
    Could someone please explain how to correctly form in EA active participles from two-letter verbs, for example حط ?
    I just came across several different variants in the internet, and got a bit perplexed...

2. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    Keep in mind, the verb حطّ is not a two-letter root. The root is ح ط ط . I'm pretty sure Egyptian would use: حاطـِط and حاطَّة like some other dialects, but will need to hear from a native speaker to be sure.

3. guakamole New Member

Russian
    Thanks a lot for the explanation. Yes, I suppose it should be حاطـِط . When I was in Egypt last time about two months ago at some point I used حاسس in a conversation, which I had picked up somewhere in the net, and judging by the reaction of my counterpart was not immediately understood.

4. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Maybe you misused it in the context, but 7aases is correct. The feminine is 7assa حاسَّة . And حاطِط/حَاطَّة are correct.

5. guakamole New Member

Russian
    And for احنا it would be...?

6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    حَاطِّين - حَاسِّين , note that the "a" following the ح is pronounced as a short vowel, but I wrote the alef because it's closer to the standard way of writing فاعلين .