1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

EA: Emphasis Spreading

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by AlJaahil, Oct 26, 2013.

1. AlJaahil Junior Member

Vancouver
    Canadian English
    I'm still a little bit curious how "emphasis spreading" in Egyptian Arabic actually works. (Read the threads, also Wikipedia, still confused.) I keep reading that emphasis tends to spread to the boundaries of the phonological word, then seeing counter-examples. Two words that I have recently come across are حاضرتَك [ħɑdˤˈretæk] "you" and اكبر [ˈækbɑr] "bigger" or "biggest."

As far as I know the word حاضرتَك is consistently pronounced [ħɑdˤˈretæk] with the second A still fronted as [æ]. I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that the base word حاضِر [ˈħɑːdˤer] has a kasra next to the final R, so the first A is backed by being next to ض [dˤ] but the suffix is not.

More confusing to me is اكبر [ˈækbɑr], with the first A remaining front [æ] and not backed to [ɑ], because as far as I can tell none of the conditions for blocking emphasis spread are met — so why is the first A not backed as well and the word not pronounced as [ˈɑkbɑr]?

2. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    I think in حاضرتك the ت is a little far from the emphatic to be affected, but I suppose it depends on dialect (حاضرطك sounds like a strange pronunciation to me). As to أكبر - actually I don't hear this pronounced [ækbɑr], usually more like [ʌkbɑr] - did you hear [ækbɑr], or is this from something you've read?

3. AlJaahil Junior Member

Vancouver
    Canadian English
    Actually as I listen again — it's a recording — [ʌkbɑr] is more accurate. Might that be sort of a "half-backed" pronunciation? Please don't tell me Egyptian Arabic has three a sounds or I may cry. :)

4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Vowels are liable to change; it's a dialect so no rules are fixed. Some people say [ħɑdˤˈretok] and by the way it's حضرتك