1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

EA: Leaving

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by scetis, Jan 9, 2013.

1. scetis Senior Member

Egypt
    English- Canadian
    I was wondering if there is a difference between خارج and طالع in EA when you are speaking about someone leaving or going out (ie of the house, leaving work, leaving the building etc). Specifically, in the examples given below, could you use a for of طلع for all of them?

1. I'm leaving right now.
    2. She left
    3. When you leave work, stop by the house.
    4. Are you guys leaving now?
    5. I left the house early this morning.
    6. I saw someone leaving the building...
    7. He's out (gone). (Replying to someone asking if so and so is home).

I was also wondering, is the verb خرج used much in EA? For me, it seems to be more of a formal MSA word with طلع being the colloquial form... would this be correct?

2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    طلع is alexandrian; I think cairenes use نزل
    It is acceptable to use any of these terms in any of these situations
    خرج is an MSA word which you could use in Egyptian

3. tr463 Senior Member

تكساس
    English
    Interesting, I frequently head نزل in Alex...

This is how I understood them:
    (طلع (فوق - to go UP somewhere (to go upstairs, to the apartment above)
    نازل - to go DOWN somewhere (to go downstairs usually) OR to get off somewhere (frequently in the meshrou3 I heard the driver ask "7ad nazl?" "Is someone getting off?")
    خرج - to go out somewhere (like to a cafe or to a club)

Also, don't forget مروح - "to go home"

Let me take a stab at these...I'll probably have a weird, agnaby response to these bas m3lesh :D

1. I'm leaving right now. - انا نازل دلوقتي حالا!
    (Depends on the context to me... are you in your apartment, waiting for your sister to get ready? Or are you out at a cafe waiting for your friends to finish paying?)

2. She left - Erm, it depends on the situation but most likely (to me anyway) - هي رَوّحت

3. When you leave work, stop by the house. - This one is hard to me, because I want to say either تخلص or تسيب even but I feel like both are incorrect/awkward

4. Are you guys leaving now? - مروحين دلوقتي؟

5. I left the house early this morning.- طلعت من البيت في الصبح بدري اوي
    (Maybe I'm going crazy or just forgetting everything, but to me personally, saying نزلت sounds weird here)

6. I saw someone leaving the building... شفت حد وهو نازل العمارة

7. He's out (gone). (Replying to someone asking if so and so is home). - هو بره او خارج (I think بره works better here, msh kidda?)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    There are nuances , yes - in a means of transport you always use نزل - but if leaving a building I would still use طلع where you use نزل it feels more right to me :). Like I said though, they are often interchangeable.
    مروح means 'going home' not just 'leaving'.

5. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Actually your examples and understanding are pretty good :thumbsup: I'll just make a few comments.
    It's mostly when someone is calling you because you're late, or they're worried you'll be late, and you tell them that you're just about to leave home.
    As Iskandarany said, the verb rawwa7 is mostly about going home. But you can use it loosely to mean "she left working", meaning you kind of assume she left to go home.
    But usually, you use the verb مشى to mean "he left". And the pronunciation of this verb, like all verbs, differ between Alexandira "masha" and Cairo "meshi". So for she, it's "mashet" or "meshet" or "meshyet".
    Again it's مشى or رَوّح for leaving work. But yes, you can use خَلّص which literally means "he finished work [for today]". But ساب الشغل means he resigned.
    In you sample sentence here, khallaS is perfect: لما تخلص شغل عدِّي على البيت
    I always use نزلت :D Tala3t/Tele3t, to me, is for going up. So, I'd say طلعت البيت = I went [up] home, but not طلعت من البيت . But maybe, as Iskandarany said, it's another Alexandria vs. Cairo thing. :)
    نازل من العمارة or خارج من العمارة are both correct.
    keda. :)
    خارج describes the act of going out. Barra is the right word here.