EA: ta3ab - tit3ib تعب - يتعب

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Timmy123, May 29, 2011.

1. Timmy123 Senior Member

NYC
    English
    Ahlan (again :))
    Can the verb tit3ib - ta3ab be used both transitively and intransitively?

e.g. ana ta3abt - ana bat3ab
    ana ta3abtak - ana bat3abak

Thank you.

2. Ustaath Senior Member

Arabian Peninsula
    Arabic - levantine
    ta33abtak ( the meaing here is normally, 'bothered you, I was an inconveninece to you'
    bata3bak ( 3am bata3bak )

3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Ustaath, I think your suggestions are from Levantine pronunciation, right?
    It's a bit different in Egyptian Arabic.
    Yes.
    ana ta3abt - ana bat3ab = I'm tired - I get tired
    ana ta3abtak - ana bat3ebak = I gave you trouble, I caused you to be tired.

Note that your pronunciation is Alexandrian :) In Cairo, it's ana te3ebt (or anat3ebt).

4. Ustaath Senior Member

Arabian Peninsula
    Arabic - levantine
    yes ofcourse it is Levantine ;0

5. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    See this thread for more information.

In short there are two verbs here -- ti3ib/yit3ab and ta3ab/yit3ib. Note the different vowel structures. The former is an intransitive verb, and a true form I فعل verb meaning 'to get/become tired'. The latter appears as a form I verb in EA, but is most likely derived from a form IV أفعل verb.* I base this on the fact that the vowel structure is similar to أفعل verbs and that it has a causative transitive meaning -- 'to cause (someone) to become tired', or simply 'to tire (someone)'. There are other verbs of this type in EA that share this vowel structure. For example, taken from my post #9 from that thread I linked to:

fisid, yifsad -- to be(come) corrupt
    fasad, yifsid -- to cause (s.o./s.th.) to be(come) corrupt, i.e. to corrupt (s.o.)

I should add that these pronunciations go for Cairene EA. I know that Alexandrian EA has some different pronunciations.

---------------
    *EA generally stays away from af3al verbs, instead using fa33al verbs to express causation. When an af3al verb is used in EA the initial alif drops off and it becomes a (pseudo) form I verb, as is the case with ta3ab.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  6. Ustaath Senior Member

Arabian Peninsula
    Arabic - levantine
    Josh, some areas actually use the أفعل form interchangeably with the 'pseudo form I ' as you put it - in Levantine, particularly in more formal occasions.