Eduardo vino/venía corriendo (Preterite/imperfect + gerundio)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by zeke63, Oct 1, 2013.

1. zeke63 New Member

English
    Hi,

My professor insists that the preterite progressive must be used for this stand-alone sentence, "Eduardo vino corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." I do not see why a sentence with such vague context could not be instead "eduardo venía corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." Either option seems possible, Preterite-Eduardo had been running from the park (and stopped) when he saw Ana, and, imperferct- Eduardo had been running from the park (and continued) when he saw Ana.

2. OGalati Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano
    Hi.

All these sentences are correct, but have different meanings.

"eduardo venía corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." >> He was already running at the time he saw Ana.
    "eduardo vino corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." >> He started to run due he saw Ana.

"he stopped or continued" is not implied from the sentences.

3. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

In my opinion, both are possible.

The combination of the imperfect/preterit with the gerund makes it kind of ambiguous, so it doesn't really matter which one you use.

I fully agree with OGalati's remark:

PS. You can find examples of both in the CREA. Actually, "venía corriendo" has a higher frequency than "vino corriendo" but I don't think the difference is significant.