1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

efecto contractivo

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by Trianita, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Trianita New Member

Swedish, Sweden
    Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any help to solve the following translation problem: from a text on the effects of immigration on the spanish economy.

.. lo unico que se consigue es paliar el efecto contractivo de otros determinantes demograficos.

My attempt:

...this would only succeed in offsetting other demographic tendencies.

but the efecto contractivo bit is still missing, am a right to venture a guess along the lines of a negative effect?

2. Rufiaa Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    i'll bump this topic as I find myself with a very similar problem with the term, in similar context.
    My context is:

La política fiscal continuará teniendo un efecto contractivo porque, para disminuir el déficit federal, serán limitados prácticamente todos los gastos presupuestarios.

any suggestions?!

3. rmalanisv Senior Member

Mexico - Español
    To Rufiaa: I think you are talking about Fiscal Contraction because the fiscal policy will limit expenses. So I would translate it: "... a contraction effect..."

Trianita: I think your phrase is talking about a consecuense from an action and not to succeed but to get. For example: "What you get from..." would be translated like "Lo que consigues...". In other hand, I don't think that you can translate "offsetting" for "paliar". Paliar, according to wordrefrence dictionary is: to ease, to alleviate.

My attempt in your text would be something like this: "...easing a contraction effect on other determining demographic factors".

4. EliTrans Senior Member

Madrid
    English - USA
    Hi, I'm translating the same concept of "efecto contractivo" and I need to know if "contraction effect" is the correct translation in English?? Can any native speakers or legal/business experts confirm this translation?

Thanks in advance!

5. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    Hola Elitrans:

Para darte una respuesta lo más acertada posible, recordá, por favor, que el contexto siempre es indispensable:):

Así, y de modo general, una posibilidad que en mi opinión vos podés considerar y en un contexto económico, para lo de "efecto contractivo" es el de "contractionary effect", o si lo preferís, también como "contractionary impact".

Saludes:).

6. EliTrans Senior Member

Madrid
    English - USA
    Thanks, I was referring to the same context as the person who originally posted the term. I just wanted confirmation from a native speaker on the previous posts.