efecto contractivo

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by Trianita, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Trianita New Member

Swedish, Sweden
    Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any help to solve the following translation problem: from a text on the effects of immigration on the spanish economy.

.. lo unico que se consigue es paliar el efecto contractivo de otros determinantes demograficos.

My attempt:

...this would only succeed in offsetting other demographic tendencies.

but the efecto contractivo bit is still missing, am a right to venture a guess along the lines of a negative effect?

2. Rufiaa Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    i'll bump this topic as I find myself with a very similar problem with the term, in similar context.
    My context is:

La política fiscal continuará teniendo un efecto contractivo porque, para disminuir el déficit federal, serán limitados prácticamente todos los gastos presupuestarios.

any suggestions?!

3. rmalanisv Senior Member

Mexico - Español
    To Rufiaa: I think you are talking about Fiscal Contraction because the fiscal policy will limit expenses. So I would translate it: "... a contraction effect..."

Trianita: I think your phrase is talking about a consecuense from an action and not to succeed but to get. For example: "What you get from..." would be translated like "Lo que consigues...". In other hand, I don't think that you can translate "offsetting" for "paliar". Paliar, according to wordrefrence dictionary is: to ease, to alleviate.

My attempt in your text would be something like this: "...easing a contraction effect on other determining demographic factors".

4. EliTrans Senior Member

Madrid
    English - USA
    Hi, I'm translating the same concept of "efecto contractivo" and I need to know if "contraction effect" is the correct translation in English?? Can any native speakers or legal/business experts confirm this translation?

Thanks in advance!

5. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    Hola Elitrans:

Para darte una respuesta lo más acertada posible, recordá, por favor, que el contexto siempre es indispensable:):

Así, y de modo general, una posibilidad que en mi opinión vos podés considerar y en un contexto económico, para lo de "efecto contractivo" es el de "contractionary effect", o si lo preferís, también como "contractionary impact".

Saludes:).

6. EliTrans Senior Member

Madrid
    English - USA
    Thanks, I was referring to the same context as the person who originally posted the term. I just wanted confirmation from a native speaker on the previous posts.