egerunt intraverunt iverunt Stress/Accentuation...

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Alaedious, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Alaedious Senior Member

France
    American English
    Salvete!

I am just reading chapter 30 of Assimil's Le Latin, which is a French method, and I have noticed a couple of stress patterns for the perfectum that have thrown me off...

The authors say that the stress falls on the highlighted vowel: egerunt intraverunt iverunt

But, if I'm not wrong, the stress should be on the following vowels since they're penultimate and long, no? egerunt intraverunt iverunt

Thanks for any help! :)

2. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    That is how it has been traditionally taught, as far as I know, in English schools.

However, things are not necessarily so simple. The Romans often abbreviated the third person plural, putting intrarunt in place of intraverunt and ierunt in place of iverunt. This practice may indicate a stress on the vowel of the stem (-a- and -i- respectively).

3. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    wandle is right: there was a lot of variation in the 3pl perfect ending in Latin, but I somehow doubt that the Assimil textbook is trying to address this interesting issue… If the author only presents the ending -ērunt, and marks the penultimate vowels in ēgērunt, intrāvērunt, ivērunt, etc. as long, then the stresses indicated in lesson 30 are just errors. If I have a chance I'll try to find a copy of the book myself and see if there is any another explanation.