egg pronunciation question

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by timpeac, May 4, 2005.

1. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    Bonjour Native speakers (no offense other francophiles and phones but I'd be interested in the reaction of those for who French is the first language) - if someone went to the shop to buy eggs but found they were sold out, would that person saying on returning empty-handed "il n'y a pas d'oeufs" (the plural being pronounced without the f) sound ok to you or would you find "il n'y a pas d'oeuf" (eg with the f pronounced) the more normal to your ears?

If you prefer one over the other, is the other still possible? Is it heard?
  2. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    "il n'y a pas d'oeufs" ('d'oeufs' being pronounced as 'deux' [ two ])
  3. murf123 Member

usa, english
    The rule of thumb I´ve always followed is: one egg, the "f" is pronounced, plural, it isn´t (or like the above, like ´deux´). Or,¨"an egg is enough for a Frenchman."
  4. zaby

zaby Senior Member

Comme Jean-Michel, j'utiliserais le pluriel et entendre "pas d'oeuf" me semblerait bizarre
  5. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    It's always "1 euff", many "eux", as J-M & Murf said. :)
  6. la_cavalière Senior Member

St. Louis, MO
    anglais États-Unis
    Sorry to butt in here, but I have a related question. In the negative, do you use a plural noun or a singular noun?

Il n'y a pas d'oeufs ou Il n'y a pas d'oeuf
    (Based on the responses above, it seems it's plural in this case)

Je n'ai pas d'enfants ou Je n'ai pas d'enfant

Je n'ai pas d'animaux ou Je n'ai pas d'animal

Je n'ai pas de soucis ou Je n'ai pas de souci
  7. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Dans tes exemples, je dirais
    Il n'y a pas d'oeufs
    Je n'ai pas d'enfant/s
    Je n'ai aucun animal
    Je n'ai pas de soucis

But then, other natives will maybe disagree... I don't think there's a rule for that, it's how you feel it...
  8. zaby

zaby Senior Member

There is an interesting thread on that subject - where Timpeac was already concerned by (with?) eggs :) :

I agree with Pieanne on your examples (except maybe that I would say "pas d'enfant" and "pas d'animal") and with the idea from the other thread that we keep the plural with "pas de" when the noun that follows is usually used with plural
  9. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    Ah, yes - well done Zaby - I was just going to look for that discussion, which I think should answer the question.:)