Egreto perambis doribus!

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by leonestdebil, Apr 7, 2005.

1. leonestdebil Senior Member

Fr & NL
    i'd like to know what the above latin quote means. and if someone knows if that's from a certain text that would be fantastic.
    if that can help, here's some xxth century context,

"The present text takes into account the order of my interviewer's questions as well as the fact that a couple of consecutive pages of my typescript were apparently lost in transit. Egreto perambis doribus! "

pax vobis,
  2. leonestdebil Senior Member

Fr & NL
    er... any idea...?
    having studied latin in a previous life, my wild guess is that "doribus" could refer to the greeks/the dorians and egreto sounds a bit like "egredior" (verb, to go out of something) ... but still ... im lost
    any help would be greatly appreciated
  3. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Well, sorry, but I don't think it's Latin. It's looks like a language which is very close to Latin, but as far as I know, I can't remember these three words.
  4. Cathurian Junior Member

United States, English
    I've studied Latin, too, and neither can I. But after googling, I found that it had something to do with the book Lolita.
  5. Hunnytree New Member

Portland OR
    USA English
    Someone wrote that this is the genus name for all oak trees. I wonder 1) if it is; 2) what does it mean; 3) could it be a genus for other than oak trees, also.

6. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    Hi hunnytree,

You should post your query for "quercus" as a separate thread. This thread is only about a translation for "Egreto perambis doribus."
  7. Hunnytree New Member

Portland OR
    USA English
    I see. I just saw "Latin" here and not elsewhere and gave it a try.
  8. ruakh New Member

English/U.S., mostly
    Nabokov coined the phrase; see here: <>.

(I realize that doesn't help much with figuring out what it means, but it's the best I can do. My guess would be that it should mean something like "They walked out the door," as that fits the context, and the words have some resemblance to English "egress," "perambulate," and "door," but "door" is not from Latin, and I don't think those are the correct Latin forms of "egressus" and "perambulare," so I really can't say. I don't think Nabokov would mis-inflect Latin, though I could imagine him inflecting English *like* Latin.)
  9. judkinsc

judkinsc Senior Member

English, USA
    It's not standard Classical Latin. The forms do not exist to render it as such. With that said, it's possible he gapped some things, altered a few others...

Egreto (possibly egresso if there is a variant participle ending in that verb), meaning "with a man having left/exited from"
    Perambis perhaps shortened from "perambulatis"
    Doribus exists in Latin as a form of dores(-is), -um, referring to the Dorian Greeks, as stated above. Perhaps it is a transliteration of the Greek dors, doridos using Latin declensions...meaning sacrificial knives.

If, by a rare stretch of imagination, any of that is possible, then the meaning would be something like "With a man having escaped from the walking knives" or "with the man having escaped from the men walking with sacrificial knives."

I have found one use of "doribus", in a medieval version of the Ad Missam catholic song. "in splen doribus sanctorum."

My best guess is that it's an Italian dialect, not Latin.
  10. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    I found doribus (actually, d'oribus in the original) in Rabelais's Pantagruel:
    " put the said Chronicles betwixt two pieces of linen cloth made somewhat hot, and so apply them to the place that smarteth, sinapizing them with a little powder of projection, otherwise called doribus.