1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Egyptian Arabic: عايش / عايشة

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by visual1ce, Jan 17, 2013.

1. visual1ce Junior Member

English - Australia
    Listening to a video from Al-kitaab and maha says: a3eesha fee new york. Is this a verbal noun? I'm familiar with the verb a3eesh but I don't think it has an a at the end. To me it sounds like a taa marbuta -> verbal noun. If it is a proper verb I don't understand why it isn't ba3eesh: the textbook tells me that all main verbs *and* (textbook's emphasis) verbs that indicate habitual actions take the b prefix and also why the 'ah' ending.

2. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    It is probably عايشة في نيو يورك which is the اسم فاعل or active participle of the verb عاش. If it were a proper verb, you are correct to expect بعيش. But the active participle acts as an adjective describing a state, which is more appropriate than a verb meaning a habitual action. In the Levant often ساكن is used from the verb سكن.

By the way, 'verbal noun' is usually used to indicate المصدر - which is an abstract noun describing the action of verb. This would not be appropriate here.

3. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    عائشة‎ is a very common female proper name - the name of a person. In this particular case, seems to me, the proper translation would be:

Aisha is in New York.

4. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    No, I can assure you based on the context of this textbook and the accompanying DVD it is meant to say "I live in New York."

5. tr463 Senior Member

تكساس
    English
    Seconded. It's the "Egyptian" version of the video because I believe in fush7a she says "أسكن في مدينة نيو يورك" or something to that effect.

6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    عايشة
    3aisha
    The way an Egyptian woman would say 'I live' or 'I am living'.

7. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    True. And a guy would say عايش. Both mean "I'm living".
    And, as Clevermizo said, it's not a verb but an اسم فاعل .

8. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    Just verifying my previous post here:

I understand that the OP was referring to a text in a specific book and tape he was listening to (which I don't have). In that specific instance, the phrase
    عايشة في نيو يورك means "I'm living in New York" (f).

But the same phrase independent of a book or tape, could easily mean, as I previously suggested: "Aisha is in New York" as in:

محمد في بيروت لكن عايسة في نيو يورك Can someone confirm that?

9. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes. Theoretically.
    It wouldn't work for a simple reason: Egyptians pronounce the name عائشة as 3eesha عيشة not 3aysha عايشة. :)