Egyptian Arabic: كلام مش قده - قد الكلام

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by arabicreference, Apr 20, 2013.

1. arabicreference New Member

English
    Hello Arabic Forum,

I'm so happy you guys have helped me in the past and I hope you all can work your magic and help me with this new piece I am translating!

This is coming from an Egyptian Arabic post that was being spread on Facebook yesterday. Please someone translate the whole sentence and clarify the last word because I would like to understand fully what this person is saying and I don't understand the sentence at all! The speaker is talking about how someone did not believe anything she said and didn't trust her statements.

وقال له ما يقلش كلام هو مش قده

I don't understand this word قده in Arabic to begin with or when it's supposed to be used an explanation would be great!

Thank you so much!

2. jcpjcp Senior Member

Turkish/Turkic
    I coud not find " قده " in the dictionary. I think it is " كده ".
    I think it was written wrong in the post.

so it may be " مش كده " which means " isn't it " .

3. arabicreference New Member

English
    Thanks so much jcjcp for your responses i have found them all super helpful! but if we could take a look at this whole entire line again it would be helpful. i do think the speaker wrote it like that on purpose. after doing a little research i found that egyptian arabic uses the قد " to represent "how much" something is. i don't know if it's relevant and i still don't know how to use translate the above sentence at all. could we perhaps find more suggestions for translating this sentence? also remember in context this is a girl talking about how someone did not believe what she said and went to talk to her male companion instead.

A guess translation i have is this: and he said to him he lessens what is said/ what I said because it is not worth as much.

can someone help me improve?

4. Jordan89 Junior Member

Granada
    Jordanian Arabic and Greek
    Hello,

It is قده

And the sentence means:

"And he told him not to say anything he himself could not take responsibility on"

I am not sure it's clear but it literally means what I have said above.

to be more clear, I will give you an example:
    Someone who hasn't got enough money to buy a car promises his friend to buy him a car so his friend tells him:

ما تقلش كلام انت مش قده

(because the friend knows that he can´t afford it so he doesn´t believe what he says)

I hope this helps:)

5. Jordan89 Junior Member

Granada
    Oh and I forgot to tell you that قدهmeans "that has the same value as something"

6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    قدّ كدا = This big
    طولي قدّ طولك = My height is the same as your height
    انت قدّها ولا لأّة؟ = Are you up to the job or not?
    خلّيك قدّ كلمتك = Be a man of your word.
    انت مش قدّ النّاس دي = Those people are a lot bigger than you can deal with.

7. arabicreference New Member

English
    hey jordan89 this helps so much thank you!! but if i gave you the sentence before what would you think of my full translation below?

وبعدين ابتدوا يسألو زميلي لو مصدق الكلام اللي أنا قلته أصلا!! وقال له ما يقلش كلام هو مش قد

"and then they (the employees) started asking my friend if he believed all that I said to begin with! and one of them said to him that he should not say things that he is not sure is true or not.
    "

there are three people here. the female writer, her male friend, and the employees who talk to her male friend to tell her friend they think she is lying.

to be honest i don't like the above translation because it doesn't reveal how the قده in this context is talking about the lack of value in the girl's words and it's pretty important for me to convey this.

also your example sentence is directed towards a person you use ما تقلش (you) but in the sentence they are talking about a male or thing and use ما يقلش (he/it). How would this slight difference change the meaning? Is the employee warning the male companion not to believe her words or is the writer saying the employee doesn't believe her?

also does the verb here mean to lessen? what does it mean exactly?

it's a lot of questions guys but this is the last sentence in a powerful piece and i'd like to translate it right!!! Thank you so much for your input you've already helped alot!!

8. Jordan89 Junior Member

Granada
    The translation is very good actually, because this is an expression and I am not sure it has an exact literal translation that could be understood in English, so personally, I think the translation is quite good and gives the same meaning.

قده here doesn´t have to do with any lack of value in the girl´s words or whatsoever. It just means that the male friend shouldn´t say anything to "defend" what the female writer says just because she is his friend, so he has to be fair and speak up the truth even if it is the opposite of what the female writer is telling them.

There isn´t any difference in the meaning when the subject changes, I can give you the same example I provided earlier using the 3rd person, so you can get a better idea on the matter

"X" doesn´t have enough money to buy a car. "X" promises "Y" to buy him a car. "Z" knows that "X" can´t afford it so "Z" is telling "Y" that "X" can´t be serious, so he tells him

قلو ما يقلش كلام هو مش قده

I couldn't find any other way to explain my point, I'm sorry if I have driven you crazy with examples and all.

9. arabicreference New Member

English
    Your examples were on point! Thanks so much for your help Jordan89 and thanks everyone else for your input I feel much more confident in my translation!

Cheers!

10. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    It looks like :

He doesn't say words he is not good enough to do/fulfill

11. Jordan89 Junior Member

Granada
    I am glad the examples weren´t silly enough :)

Cheers!

12. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Another meaning or usage for this structure is similar to the advise "don't make a promise you can't keep" or "you won't be able to keep". The thing is, one should be responsible for what he says يكون قد كلامه , so as long as he won't be able to take such a responsibility, he shouldn't be too daring with his words.

13. Aloulu Junior Member

Tunisian Arabic
    In Tunisian Arabic we use exactly the same word, I never knew Egyptian dialect uses it as well. Thats why when we ask how much a certain thing costs we do not say "kaam hada" but "Qaddesh hada", which is derived from "qad shnowa".