1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

eipähän

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Gavril, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Päivää,

How does the "-pähän" in eipähän affect the meaning of the sentence below?

"'I have been here six and a half years, and [...]', says Pipatti"

Kiitos

2. Vitalore Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    There's also siinäpähän, which seems to be a very commonly used word with the same combination of particles.

3. Marsario Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Italia, italiano
    Could it be "and I've never run into it/him/her"?

As far as I understand the sentence would be –Olen ollut tässä kuusi ja puoli vuotta, ja (se/hän) ei ole tullut aikasemmin vastaan. Pähän should only be an there as an exclamation...

What do Finns say?

4. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

I don't detect any real difference in meaning between ei and eipähän in your sentence. Eipähän makes the speaker's opinion slightly more emphatic.

5. Spongiformi Senior Member

Finnish
    Yeah, like Marsario said. It doesn't particularly affect the meaning at all. It merely affects the feeling of the sentence, making it less severe sounding, though it doesn't change the fact it's still negative. It would work similarly with just "-pä" (eipä). I guess Pipatti used the longest possible form of "ei" to downplay the negative answer. Technically "-pa/pä" stenghtens a sentence, "-han/hän" mellows it, but the streghtening part doesn't really show when used with "ei".

Thus, you could also drop the "-pähän" away entirely and the general message would still be exactly the same. It's not really an independently working sentence, though. It only works as an answer to something.

6. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Is this because of the -pähän, or because the sentence has no explicit subject (ei [se?] ole tullut aikaisemmin vastaan)?

Thanks to everyone for their answers.

7. Spongiformi Senior Member

Finnish
    That.