El cancelll dringava davant i darrere nostre

Discussion in 'Català (Catalan)' started by Luder, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Luder Senior Member

USA English
    I have a long sentence that's confusing me and would be grateful for help with it. It's from a piece by Narcís Oller. Here it is:

El cancell dringava davant i darrere nostre fins a rebatre amb fúria contra el bastiment, escuant de pas el llarg miol de vent que l'escala s'engolia.

So then: "The storm door was clanging before and behind us to the point of knocking furiously against the frame, in passing cutting off the long howl of the wind that was rushing up the stairs."

My problem is picturing what is being depicted here. Why "davant i darrere nostre," for instance? The people being referred to aren't, I don't think, on both sides of the door at the same time. Am I misunderstanding something?
  2. ernest_

ernest_ Senior Member

Catalan, Spain
    This text is pretty poetic.

El cancell is a second door behind a front door, not exactly a storm door. You can look at this picture to get the idea. When it says that el cancell dringava davant i darrera nostre, I too find it a little confusing. It must be a rhetoric device. On second thought, apparently cancell can also refer to the whole space in between the doors, so I guess that it could make sense to say that it clanged before and behind them, if they were standing right there.

The last part you got it right, except that "de pas", means "in the process", so I'm not sure if "in passing" is OK.
  3. Luder Senior Member

USA English
    Thank you, ernest_. I'm glad I'm not the only one slightly confused. I'd say, too, that if the "cancell" is referring to the space between the doors, then the sentence is even stranger, since it would be impossible for the space to "dringar" or "rebatre." Only the door itself could do that. For the rest, "in the process" and "in passing" are largely synonymous.