1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

el cartel de una licitacion

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by SilentSwirl, Jun 18, 2007.

1. SilentSwirl New Member

USA, English
    Hello everyone.

I am translating a telecommunications law, and have run into difficulties.

This is under the article entitled "Recursos."

El recurso de objectación contra el cartel de una licitación publica o abreviada se interpondrá ante la Administración, dentro del primer cuarto del plazo para presentar ofertas.

Is that enough information provided to get some help?

2. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Hi SilentSwirl:

Let me try:

The objection recourse against the public or abbreviated auction call will be filed before the Administration within the first fourth/quarter of the term stipulated for the reception of offers.

I've never heard the word objetación/objectación before, and since it is not in RAE, I don't know where it is used, but I'm assuming it means objeción, which we translate as objection, I think :confused:

3. SilentSwirl New Member

USA, English
    Thank you :)

So "el cartel" you are translating as "call"? I've been translating "licitacion publica" as "public bidding" (and the people I'm doing the translation for said that's what they want).

I still don't understand what "el cartel" means in this sense, and where it fits with the translation, and whether I can just leave it out??

Thank you so much!!

4. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Public bidding sounds perfect, yes, and cartel is not the term we use in México, but I'm actually guessing it means the document itself. Look at RAE's definition of cartel:
    1. m. Lámina de papel u otra materia en que hay inscripciones o figuras y que se exhibe con fines noticieros, de publicidad, etc.

It includes other definitions too, but none of them applicable to your text.

5. krolaina

krolaina Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish, Spain
    Hello,

ILT, maybe you use "tablón de anuncios" instead of "cartel"?. In Spain we talk about "edictos" (edits/proclamations). And they are published in a "tablón de anuncios" (notice board). Could it be?

6. vikingo45 Junior Member

Costa Rica
    Costa Rica - English
    Hi SilentSwirl and all:

Sorry that I am a little late on the scene, but I have been looking around for a good term for "cartel" when used in the bidding or licitación process, and I found this. Though it might be useful for future foreros looking for the same.

Cartel = Bidding specifications

Best regards,
    vikingo45

7. Polyglotlizotte Senior Member

Spain
    US English
    Thank you for your contribution. You've been a great help!! :)