El libro está en inglés - está / es

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by hmea1, Nov 16, 2010.

1. hmea1 Member

American English
    Could someone tell me why the word "está" is used in the sentence, "El libro está en inglés" and not the word "es"?

Thanks in advance.
  2. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Can you provide the whole context ?
  3. hmea1 Member

American English
    I first heard the sentence as, "El libro está en inglés." I translated this as, "The book is in English" as in "The book is written in English." I am just wondering what the rationale is for using "está" and not "es" is in this case as I would have otherwise thought to use "es" instead of "está" had I not heard it this way.
  4. hmea1 Member

American English
    Is it proper grammar?
  5. Ushuaia

Ushuaia Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    castellano rioplatense
    It is proper grammar, hmea. "The book is written in English" would translate as "el libro está escrito en inglés". :)
  6. donbill

donbill Senior Member / Moderator

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    One way to look at it is this:

Estar + participle is often used to express the result of an action.

Cerraron la puerta. > La puerta está cerrada.

What's the action in your question? Writing. So "Alguien escribió el libro." >> "El libro está escrito." "Escribió el libro en inglés. El libro está escrito en inglés."

You know, I'm sure, that if you say "el libro fue escrito en inglés" you're referring to the action of writing it, not to the resultant state.

Any help?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  7. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Spanish - Uruguay
    El libro es en inglés. El libro está en inglés. (both possible).
    The second one is more common when we speak about languages. Don't ask why. That's the way it is... Sorry :)
  8. Fa1202 Member

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    We tent to omit verbs that for inference are obvious, ex.
    La canción está [cantada] en español

When we say "El libro está en inglés" what we really mean is: El libro está [escrito] en inglés. After “es” we never use another verb(even when omitted), just adjectives or nouns(or verbs used as nouns).

I agree with Duvija: The second one is more common when we speak about languages
  9. capitas

capitas Senior Member

Castellón, Spain
    El libro está en ingles: No matter how it was written, this version is in English.
    El libro es en ingles. The book is now in English, and it was written in English.