1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

el perro de las dos tortas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Solbrillante, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Solbrillante Senior Member

USA-English
    Buenos días a todos! Quisiera saber que significa esta frase: Quedarse como el perro de las dos tortas.

Mil gracias!

2. rafajuntoalmar

rafajuntoalmar Senior Member

Barcelooooonaaaa
    Castellano (tanto argentino como peninsu
    Hola,

Es un refrán que alude a la necesidad de elegir ante el riesgo de quedarse sin ninguna de las opciones actuales. Al parecer, se usa mucho en México. En Argentina diríamos "Quedarse sin el pan y sin las tortas".

Puedes consultar también aquí: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_and_the_Two_Tortas

Saludos,

3. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    I think the idea is of a dog that has or sees two cakes. He can only pick up one in his mouth, and he can't decide which one to take.

4. Solbrillante Senior Member

USA-English
    What an absolutely wonderful expression! Thanks for the link, rafajuntoalmar!

5. MSanchezC Senior Member

The sense of that phrase is something like this: You want to take both things, but you take too much time to decide wich one to take so you lose both.

6. Riverdoc Senior Member

Ukiah, California
    U.S.A./English
    Hola Foreros,

Necesito ayuda con este modismo de arriba que aparece en el siguiente contexto: "Está loco este cabrón-dijo Andrés. Se va a quedar como el perro de dos tortas".

Gracias de antemano por su ayuda.

Riomédico:)

7. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico-Spanish
    "El perro de las dos tortas" = "The dog with two tortas"

Sorry if I can't tell you what a torta is but I could try to explain it as a pastrie/sandwich

8. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico-Spanish
  9. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico-Spanish
    Oh! sorry, I forgot to tell you what's the meaning of that expression, right?

Ok... let see. It means that someone had two oportunities or 2 different things that were good or really good for that person, but because no one can have it all, you might lose everything and at the end you are as a dog with two sandwiches...
    In a very simple way, you should choose!

10. magico Junior Member

Pamplona, Navarra
    UK English
    'Like a dog with two tortas' - what an irritating idiom - why can't the dog eat both tortas?

11. Monicot Senior Member

MEXICO, SPANISH
    Jajaja, it's a methaphore!!

Following K-milla's explanation, this idiom means that if you do not make a decisition on time, you could lose both opportunities.

Saludos!

12. Monicot Senior Member

MEXICO, SPANISH
    It is a kind of popular story, in which a dog has one "torta", but when he sees another one, stops taking care of the first one. Someone smarter comes and takes it, before our dog can reach the second one, which is taken by another smart guy. So, because its ambition, at the end our friend lost the two tortas...

I hope it was clear enough!!

Saludos!

13. K-Milla

K-Milla Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico-Spanish
    Well done Monicot!

A very good explanation about the dog and his 2 tortas. Poor doggie :S

So... don't be too ambitious

14. magico Junior Member

Pamplona, Navarra
    UK English
    'You can't have it all'.

15. ovejanegra

ovejanegra Senior Member

English, USA
  16. Chamullar Junior Member

English - Australia

Old thread, but would "Better a bird in the hand, than two in the bush" be an equivalent saying?