1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

El que éstos tarden más o menos tiempo

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Rose2001, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Rose2001 Senior Member

UK, English
    Las modificaciones legislativas que en definitiva, son el único método eficaz y democrático de dotar a la sociedad de reglas basadas en el respeto y la libertad para con todos sus integrantes, son siempre producto de una demanda mayoritaria de los ciudadanos hacia los políticos. El que éstos tarden más o menos tiempo en asumir que el bien común no puede estar supeditado a los intereses particulares de unos pocos - sobre todo si su precio es el sometimiento de seres vivos, con su tortura y muerte legitimadas - es un factor determinante del mayor o menor atraso moral de las naciones en un camino que antes o después, todas habrán de recorrer.

This is such a long sentence that I keep getting lost! I am particularly lost at the what the 'El' in 'El que estos....' stands for, and how it relates to the part beginning 'es un factor determinante...'

Legislative changes, which are most certainly the only efficient and democratic way to provide a society with rules based on respect and freedom for all its members, are always a product of the citizens’ majority demands. Those that take longer or shorter in accepting that the common good cannot be put before the specific interests of the few – particularly if the price is the subjugation of living creatures, with their legitimised torture and death – is a determining factor in the greater or lesser moral backwardness of nations following a path which, sooner or later, all must traverse.

If you can be bothered to look at all this, I'd be very grateful!!! Thanks. :)

2. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    Otra:
    That they take more or less time on the assumption ....

3. Rose2001 Senior Member

UK, English
    Mmm, thank you, but I'm sorry - I still don't understand! :/

4. Metalsmith Junior Member

Spanish
    The meaning of the sentence in Spanish is: "The fact that they take longer or shorter in..."

5. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    This is what they are implying in the sentence:
    That the politicians take a little or a long time understanding or assuming that :common good cannot be put before the specific interests of the few ...

6. Rose2001 Senior Member

UK, English
    Ahhh, sense is starting to emerge from the fog.... But shouldn't it be, then, "the specific interests of the few cannot be put before the common good..." ? (I.e. reversed)?

7. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    Sorry, I just copied and paste what you translated it....
    ;)

8. Rose2001 Senior Member

UK, English
    :)

Thank you both for your help!

9. Metalsmith Junior Member

Spanish
    I think that the problem here is that the sentence is too long.
    The sense is this: "The fact that they take longer or shorter .............. is a determining (or decisive) factor.
    In other words, the time that they take to accept the thing is a decisive factor.
    Hope it helps!