1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

El Santisimo=The Most Holy?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by PROY.TV, Jan 30, 2006.

1. PROY.TV Junior Member

ESPAÑOL
    ¿Cómo se dice en Inglés lo que en español llamamos "El SantÍsimo"? En términos de religión se le llama ¿"The Most Holy"?

Gracias Por La Ayuda!

2. MCGF

MCGF Senior Member

Southern Spain
    Spain, spanish
    Pienso que sería "The Holiest", pero no sé si para los nativos tiene mucho sentido ... :confused:

3. Kialaya

Kialaya Senior Member

Malaga
    Spanish - Spain
    I believe you would have to say "The Holy One" because you are referring to God with a capital G, that is, you dont suppose that there are other holy beings and this is the only one, you are supposing that this is the only one. Does that make sense?

4. njfworld Senior Member

English - Canada
    In fact, "el Santísimo," without any other clarification, typically refers to "el Santísimo Sacramento" in Catholic terminology. The English translation would be "the Blessed Sacrament" (referring to the Eucharist).

5. Terry Mount Senior Member

U S A
    We can say the "Most Holy Sacrament" as well as the "Most Holy Trinity".... I'm not sure if you just say the "Most Holy" alone what we'd think. I probably think it was God (the Most High) [but I'm not Catholic].

6. njfworld Senior Member

English - Canada
    Terry, I don't know what the context of the original question is, nor the religious background of the asker. I was just referring to common Catholic usage of the term in Spanish, and a probable meaning if you saw it without any other context (e.g. in an encyclopedia, plaque in a church, etc.)

In standard Catholic terminology in Spanish, "el Santísimo" (said like that and with no further qualification) refers to the Eucharist, and its English translation is "The Blessed Sacrament."

It may have other meanings in other circles or in another context...

7. pontchartrain Senior Member

United States, English
    njfworld is correct. In the context of Latin Catholicism, the word means the Blessed Sacrament or the Eucharist. Unless the proy.tv specifies another context, this is what I would assume it means.

8. Terry Mount Senior Member

U S A
    Thanks, to you both. I was just trying to think what "the Most Holy" would seem to be if there were no other word with it...or if there were no context.

9. sdhanel Junior Member

Des Moines, IA, USA
    U.S. English
    We recently saw, "Gloria al Santísimo" spelled out in pyrotechnics at the quemada de un castillo in Cuenca, Ecuador during a celebration of Corpus Cristi. I was told (in Spanish) that santísimo referred to the wafer taken as part of communion but that in this case it was a large wafer that was passed from church to church. This is a little confusing since I'm not Catholic but it was quite a show.

10. njfworld Senior Member

English - Canada
    sdhanel, that must have been very impressive. I wish I were there to see it myself. As you yourself so rightly point out, Corpus Christi is the Feast of the Body of Christ, i.e. the Eucharist, Blessed Sacrament.

So in this case, the words you saw mean "Glory to the Blessed Sacrament" which would be very fitting indeed for the feast that was being celebrated.

11. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    In non-catholic, Christian circles we refer to the "Holy of Holies" to refer to the place where the Arc of the Covenant was placed. "The Most Holy" could be construed to refer to the Godhead.

12. anguiano New Member

mexican spanish
    The word is "Sanctity"

13. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    Puerto Rico - Spanish/English
    Santisimo = blessed
    As pointed out, "el Santísimo" is a common way of saying "the Blessed Sacrament", the bread wafer (only afer it has been blessed). Before that, it is simply called "hostia".
    Santisimo can also mean Holy, as in El Santisimo Rosario (The Holy Rosary)

14. anguiano New Member

mexican spanish
    I agree with "njfword":
    In fact, "el Santísimo," without any other clarification, typically refers to "el Santísimo Sacramento" in Catholic terminology. The English translation would be "the Blessed Sacrament" (referring to the Eucharist).
    You can use "Blessed" only with "Blessed Sacrament" and referring to the Eucharist. But "El Santísmo" has a direct traslation as "Sanctity", but "Holiness" is a very close word.
    Sorry, but "Sanctity" is a Catholic word, and can be found it in the Catholic Catechism.