el señor X se excusa por no poder asistir a la presentación

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by terelu, Sep 10, 2008.

1. terelu Junior Member

spain and spanish
    Good morning!

Please, I would appreciate your help...
    How would you say in a formal context:
    "El señor X se excusa por no poder asistir a su presentación ya que tiene una reunión al mismo tiempo"

My attempt:
    "Mr. X excuses himself for not being able to attend your presentation as he would be required to attend parallelly another meeting"

Suena bien? Is it correct?

Thanks!

2. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    I suggest "Mr. X asks to be excused for not attending your presentation, as he has another meeting at the same time" or "Mr. X will not be able to attend your presentation because he has another meeting at the same time."

3. temujin

temujin Senior Member

Hamburg - Germany
    Norway / norwegian
    Do you need the translation for e-mail responses, phone responses, or just in general.

I mean if you intend to use it in a formal business context, although grammatically correct, you may want to consider leaving the "because he has another meeting at the same time" part out.

This does implicitly state that "the other meeting", i.e. the other customer is more important that you are.

regards
    t.

4. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    De acuerdo con Temujin. En el contexto de dos clientes, sería mejor decir algo como "... as he has/due to another commitment", o "Mr. X will be unable to attend your meeting at (hora, fecha), and would like to reschedule it an another time/at your convenience".