1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

El sexo es mejor a los 50

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by la_machy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. la_machy

la_machy Senior Member

Hermosillo, Sonora, México.
    Español de Sonora
    Deseo enviar una felicitación de cumpleaños que incluya lo siguiente:

**El sexo es mejor a los 50*
    Según un estudio científico, los hombres de 50 años tienen una vida sexual más satisfactoria que los de 30, asi que...

Mi intento:

**Sex gets better at 50**
    According to scientific research(?), men on 50 have a more satisfactory sexual life than those on 30, so...

Se aceptan correcciones.

(Este es el artículo de donde obtuve la información , por si a alguien le interesa;))

Saludos

2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Without looking at your work, I would say:

**Sex is better at 50**

According to a scientific study, men at 50 have a more satisfactory sex life than men {their counterparts} at 30, so ...

(Looking at your work, it's just a couple of tweaks to change ...)

3. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    Hola machy,

Se puede traducirlo literalmente más o menos en este caso sin problemas.

The sex is better at 50
    According to a scientific study, men at 50 have a more satisfactory sexual life than those at 30, so...

Aquí está otra variante:

The sex is better at 50
    According to a scientific study, men at 50 have a better-than-average sexual drive than those at 30, so...

Ojalá te sirva. :D

4. la_machy

la_machy Senior Member

Español de Sonora
    Muchas gracias Txiri y Bailarin...en realidad no estuve tan errada;).
    Pero tomaré sus cambios en cuenta.

Gracias,

Saludos

5. neal41 Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA, English
    Hay que quitar 'the'. "Sex is better at 50."

'on 50' en el intento de la_machy tiene que ser 'at 50'.

6. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    I disagree. In the context of using sex as a subject (especially in a title as La Machy has proposed), an article may be used. It is optional, but it may be used. A stylistic preference, and quite common.

7. neal41 Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA, English
    Yes, you are right. There are certain situations where 'the sex' can be used. I'm not sure now what they are. In many situations, however, if you hear 'the sex' you also expect to hear a foreign accent since in movies and on television the use of the definite article in front of abstract nouns is a standard device to indicate that the speaker is not a native speaker of English.

In other words, non-native speakers of English should be very careful about saying things like 'the sex' if they want their speech to sound native.

8. LanguageAlchemist New Member

English-US
    I would suggest:

Sex is better at 50

Scientific studies show that 50 year old men have a more satisfying sex life now than they did at 30, therefore.....

9. neal41 Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA, English
    After having thought about it, I think that 'the sex' is short for 'the sex that you will experience/are experiencing/have experienced in the specific situation that is now under discussion'. 'The sex' would thus be a stylistic possibility in the situation described by la_machy.

10. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    I agree with those who've voted for "Sex ... " without the article.

"Sex" in general is better at fifty ...

"The sex" is better at fifty [than the movie-watching is.]

11. Nopertenezco

Nopertenezco Senior Member

Inglés
    ¡Qué tal!
    Estoy de acuerdo con Sex is better.

Saludos

12. spatula

spatula Senior Member

London
    English - London (Irish ethnicity)
    This is the best suggestion so far.

Losing 'the' seems correct.

'50 year old men' is better than just 'men at 50'. An alternative would be 'men aged 50'.

I would also lose the 'now' and replace it with 'at this age' (in which case you'd go with '50 year old men').

13. LanguageAlchemist New Member

English-US
    Thank you! I think you suggestion is absolutely correct. "at this age" sounds more natural/correct than "now"

14. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I agree with this, but would only add that "50 year old" should be hyphenated as "50-year-old."

15. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    Well, let me clarify, before my thought gets buried too deep into the garbage can. It is a regular conversation topic among women to ask, "How is the sex?" and then receive a reply like "The sex is outstanding!" or "The sex is not so good." You, too, can hear these things if you're married and forced to watch Sex and the City. This was my reasoning for choosing to use the article (the), "The sex is better at 50." I wasn't trying to be one of those difficult forum participants who was going against the grain simply to go against the grain. Anyways, as others have pointed out... using the article is not wrong in this context. It is definitely optional and a stylistic preference. Can I get an amen?

P.S. I wonder why hot topics like these get so many hits. ;)

16. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    The sex is better at 50. :tick:
    The sex gets better at 50. :cross:
    Sex gets better at 50. :tick:
    Sex is more satisfying at 50. :tick:
    Sex is better at 50. Creo que está bien, pero esta oración me suena un poco raro ya que he visto las otras.

17. spatula

spatula Senior Member

London
    English - London (Irish ethnicity)
    'The sex is better at 50'.

Which sex? 'The' means we've referred to a particular sex already - we haven't, have we? :confused:

'Sex is better at 50'.

Sex in general is better at 50. This is the version I would use. :)

Thank you gengo, I absolutely should have hyphenated my 50-year-old men. :(

18. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I think this use of the definite article introduces a nuance, which to me implies mentioning an item from a list, as in the following made-up dialog.

- How is it going with your new boyfriend?
    - The little gifts are thoughtful, the romantic dinners are enchanting, the weekend getaways are wonderful, and the sex is fantastic!

We could omit the first three items on the list and still use the definite article for the last one. And that is the nuance that I get from the article. That is, when people say "the sex" they are referring to it as part of an implied list of other categories.

And since we have given La Machy lots of different bits of advice, here is my suggestion in full.

Sex is better at 50
    According to a scientific study, men in their 50's have a more satisfying sex life than those in their 30's, so...

19. la_machy

la_machy Senior Member

Español de Sonora
    Muchas gracias a todos por sus opiniones:).
    Las tendré en cuenta si finalmente me decido a enviar la felicitación.

Saludos

20. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    El artículo the con sex lo hace más particularizado:

The sex at 50 is more satisfying to men than what they may have had when they were 30.

Creo que en este caso "the sex" refiere a la experiencia sexual particular de los 50.

Para sugerir cómo va a ser el sexo, yo no usaría el the porque "the sex" me es algo concreto ya hecho:

When the sex is satisfying, the men are happier.
    [las experiencias particulares de unos hombres particulares]

Me gusta más "Sex gets better at 50" aunque no traduce exactamente "El sexo es mejor a los 50."

21. la_machy

la_machy Senior Member

Español de Sonora
    A mi también me gusta más así.
    De hecho, eso en español sería algo así como ''El sexo se pone mejor a los 50'', que me parece que también en español expresaría mejor el contexto del artículo.
    Y puesto que sería una versión para mi uso personal, creo que lo dejaré con ''gets better...''.
    Gracias de nuevo.

Saludos