El viento viene hacia aquí

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Albcab, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Albcab

Albcab Junior Member

London, UK
    Spanish Spain, Catalan Catalunya
    How can I say in English "El viento viene hacia aquí"
    Is it right for example "The Wind comes here"?
    Also "El viento entra por la ventana"

2. FehFeh Junior Member

England
    English
    I would say "the wind blows here," but I am not sure if that is accurate enough for what you want to say.

And for the second phrase, I would say, "the wind comes through the window."

I hope that this has helped you :)

3. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    "The wind is blowing this way"

I assume you are talking about smoke from factory chimneys or perhaps about hunting, or the weather, or.....

Inside a room it would be more normal to talk about a "draught" (BrE spelling).

syd

4. Albcab

Albcab Junior Member

London, UK
    Hi syd,

Thank you very much!

One more question about that. Is it right to say "The wind is blowing my way" to explain that the wind is coming to me, where I am? And how to explain wind´s direction?

5. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    I would actually say: "The wind is blowing towards me", but most of the time it would be easier to say "this way".

If you were discussing a photo, for example, you might say "towards these people", or "this/that way", if you were somehow indicating the direction .

Regarding directions: as in Spanish, a/the north wind blows from the north. You can also talk about northerly/southerly/south-westerly/etc. winds and breezes.

See wiki here for more information.

syd

6. Albcab

Albcab Junior Member

London, UK
    Awesome!
    Syd thank you very much, you are the best!

7. mijoch Senior Member

British English
    Just another version----perhaps a bit more informal but often said.

"the wind is blowing this a way".

M.