1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

elaborazione del distacco

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Lerisy, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Lerisy Junior Member

Italiano
    Hi,

Could you please help me with this sentence? The context is that of drug addiction therapy.

Nella fase finale della terapia, è importante proporre l'elaborazione del distacco, con particolare attenzione al possibile vissuto di abbandono.

[FONT=&quot]During the final phase of the therapy it is important to propose to the patient dealing with the detachment process focusing on a possible abandonment experience.

thank you in advance

lery

[/FONT]

2. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

"Abandonment experience" means to me "an experience in one's life when one was/ felt abandoned". Is that what you mean? If so, that's OK. The part you have highlighted in red seems fine, but I am not sure about the technical term. Yes, it is probably correct. I have found "detachment therapy" in this context, so "detachment process" would probably work.

3. Alessandrino Senior Member

Roma
    Italiano
    Don't you think that the object is missing? What are we proposing to the patient dealing with the detachment process?

4. johngiovanni

You are right, Alessandro. I misread the construction. Presumably "l'elaborazione" is the direct object. "...to propose / suggest the development of the detachment (process)..." (Please see my earlier question about "abandonment experience". Is this the sense?)

5. Lerisy Junior Member

Italiano
    Yes, it is john. The person feels that in some way he/she has been abandoned even if nothing of the kind ever happened. In other words the feeling is that of not being loved enough.
    Is this your final suggestion?
    During the final phase of the therapy it is important to propose to the patient the development of the detachment process focusing on a possible abandonment experience.

6. johngiovanni

Yes, I think it is, except that I am not sure that "propose to" is as strong as you wish it to be. Do you think "encourage" or "suggest" or "lead" is too strong?

7. Lerisy Junior Member

Italiano
    I think that "to propose" or "to suggest" are fine since this is something that cannot be imposed to the patient because it can be painful.

8. johngiovanni

OK then, I think your sentence is very good. I would probably use "suggest", but "propose" is fine.

9. Lerisy Junior Member

Italiano
    I will use "suggest" then. Thank you very much for your help!:)