Elvish/Tengwar script: What does this say? [Edit: Turned out to be Elvish]

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Sgim, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Sgim New Member

Hello, I am wondering what this says. I recently found this written at an apartment and I do not know what it means.

thank you many for you help.
  2. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Welcome, Sgim, to the Arabic forum :)

Unfortunately, this is not Arabic at all.
    It seems to me to be either Hindi/Gujarati or Bengla script.
  3. Abu Talha Senior Member

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Yes, it is "Elvish", a script/language invented by Tolkien. By the way, the script in your photograph is superimposed (on glass or something) over the background.
  5. Treaty Senior Member

I think it is written directly on the wood by a black marker. You can see the effect of the wood texture on the absorption of the colour. The best example is the middle word in the bottom line. The light reflection is a result of the wood's faint polish.

Sorry, I think I was just haunted by Sherlock's ghost :). < 2nd question is gone. One topic per thread please.>
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
  6. luitzen Senior Member

Frisian, Dutch and Low Saxon
    I'm not a native English speaker, so I might be mistaken, but to me those sounds are clearly distinct and therefore written distinctly.
  7. ryba

ryba Senior Member

Courtesy of Merin Essi ar Quenteli. :)

So, now everyone knows. :D
  8. ancalimon Senior Member

The correct word is "Elfish" as Tolkien explained in one of his letters. :)
  9. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Tengwar is written is a number of different ways known as "modes". For example there is a Quenya mode, a Sindarin mode and even an English mode. (Source linked.)
  10. ryba

ryba Senior Member

Prescriptively, yes, though not exclusively. In pre-Tolkien era modern dictionaries, elfish appears either as the only or as the primary form of the adjective, not all of them featuring the older, "historical" form elvish (< Old English ælfisc, whose /f/ was realized as a voiced fricative [v]). But not on Tolkien's (Middle-earth internal) terms. The original question was about the meaning of the inscription, not the name of the language family, but, still, I think I'm not going too far off topic if I throw this link in. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013