Emergency number

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by Whodunit, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch

I think it's obvious that an emergency number has to be very easy to remember and call, hasn't it?

In Germany, we use 110 or 112 to call the police, ambulance, or fire brigade. And in Great Britain it's much easier: 999 to get through to/with all of these. But in the US you had to call 911; two different numbers are also easy to remember.

And your replies are appreciated: What emegency number does your country have? And are there any more in the US/UK you can remember?
  2. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    In Spain it is 112

I think it is a European initiative that all EU countries have the 112 .
    Actually, I saw a report about it on TV.
  3. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

But Great Britain is also in Europe and it hasn't got this 112. An exception?
  4. lsp

lsp Senior Member

US, English
    Italy has 113 for Emergency Public Aid, but also:
    Carabinieri - an Italian military corps of the gendarmerie type with police functions.)..112
    What a great idea it would be if this were standardized!
  5. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Well, it is an initiative, sorry I didn't explain myself better. From what I know it is in "working progress".
    And yes, I agree, it would be great to have the emergency number standarized throughout the world.
  6. sugarcremepuff Banned

i really haven't mind these emergency #'s... i think in the philippines its 211, but i aint quite sure about that either; that is just i think for mobile phones/cellphones but we do have other #'s as well; i really have to look at it.... i really do agree that there should be a standard emergency #'s to be used by everyone so that it's easier to remember....
  7. Artrella Banned

Hi Who! In Argentina it is the 101 (Comando Radioélectrico _ Polizei) :)

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Most British people wouldn't agree with this, Whodunit! They keep talking about "WE" (Great Britain) and "Europe". :)

9. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    In Puerto Rico we have also adopted "911" as the number to call in case of emergencies.
    This number is connected to a main "command center" that distrubutes calls to different government agencies: medical emergencies (paramedics); police dept.; fire dept.; disaster management agency; emergency social/family services.

10. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    just to point out that both 999 and 112 work in good old GB =]
  11. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Yes, actually, it would be a great idea. So you could remember easier - but I think that's the same as in languages: The dissimilarity is the funny thing why it's worth learning it. Okay, you can't really learn an emergency number, but it is interesting that there're so many different ones.

Another question: Why do they use three digits? Two would be easier.
  12. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Is there a preference by people? What number would YOU use? In Germany, we also have two numbers, and I prefer the 110 for calling the police department and 112 for fire brigade. But as far as I know, the officila one is 112.
  13. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    999, without even thinking. i think there is actually a whole system of mumbers.. for the various services, i just don't know what it is.
  14. Mr X Member

Australia, English
    In Australia the emergency number is 000. Very easy to remember!

Mr X.
  15. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    hello all;

In Alberta..911 and it is used for everything...
    te gato;)
  16. mirandolina

mirandolina Senior Member

Padua, Italy
    Scotland - English
    Also 118 if you have to call an Ambulance!
    And 116 for the ACI (Automobile Club) if your car breaks down and you need assistance...

17. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    Wow, that makes sense!!!
  18. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    000 or OOO?
  19. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    112 (It used to be 115.)
  20. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Really funny.

Ha ha! How do you want to enter OOO on a phone?
  21. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    you dial 666 lol
  22. charlie2 Senior Member

999 is the emergency number in Hong Kong. There is a 999 control centre for screening the calls and arranging for the various services.
  23. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

This will only work with a mobile. An old telephone with a receiver where you couldn't store any numbers yet hadn't got letters, so 666 wouldn't have been OOO, would it?
  24. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    lol.. on most phones that i have seen, there has always been the system of writting letter on the keybad. admittedly before the advent of the mobile this wasn't much used but in the states you can see stuff like call 1-800-123-PIZZA or something.. thats what i meant. (which of course would be 1 800 123 74992)
  25. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

actually "OOO" would be "666 666 666 " right?
    Oh no, that would be sending an sms! lol!!
  26. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Ah I see, in Germany we also had an advertisement with "Dial KUPPLUNG (clutch) to get to an espacial car components shop etc." That would be number 52115264, right?

But I think - to come back to the topic - an emegency number wouldn't be founded on such a sophisticated system.
  27. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    I was thinking the same thing. :)
  28. Mr X Member

Australia, English
    Well, when you say it, it's OOO, but if you ever have to ring it, it magically changes to 000. :)

I think we're just too lazy to actually say 'triple zero.' 'Triple oh' is so much quicker!
  29. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Sorry, but what does "lol" mean? :confused:
  31. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Laughing out loud

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Thanks, Belén!
    Live to learn!
  33. Словеса Senior Member

Russia, most known emergency numbers.
    01 - fire-brigade;
    02 - militia;
    03 - ambulance;
    04 - gas emergency.
    Then, 01 acquired the sense "general emergency" as well.
    This worked (and still works) only on stationary phones. Mobile phones had different numbers for emergency. Now the change is taking place that unifies mobile phone numbers and desk phone numbers. Particularly, those four numbers acquire "one"s in their beginnings: 101, 102, 103, 104. There are also other numbers, less well-known. This system is in action only in big cities by now, I guess.
  34. arielipi Senior Member

100 police
    101 MDA (magen david adom)
    102 firefighters
    103 electricity company
    104 home front command
    106 - 109 city services
    112 general emergency service
    142 the called will pay for the call (i only know it being done on street phones)
    144 yellow pages service
    1220 ZAKA (Disaster Victim Identification) - used after terrorist attacks and whatnot.
    1221 rescue/saving united org
    1255 information services at emergency events/times.

basically what one would normally use is 100 - 103, 106 - 109, 144.
    those in risky areas would also use 104 112.
    there is also the rescue squad of the idf and they also have a number.
  35. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

If you call the old 104 of emergency, 105 of fire brigade and 107 of police in Hungary then you have much more chance to survive than if you call the new centralized 112 because of
    • the delay passing your call to the proper organization,
    • the incompetence of the personnel receiving the calls.
  36. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Today in Finland it's always 112.

A few years ago there were different emergency numbers for the police, fire brigade, etc.
  37. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

As I have written in my previous the EU-112 had been introduced in Hungary, too.
    The unified number is a good idea, indeed, but is was introduced in Hungary without spending money on communication and adequate personnel.
  38. atcheque

atcheque mod errant

Česko - Morava
    français (France)

In France:
    15 : Ambulance
    17 : Police
    18 : Fire brigade
    112 : any emergency, especially for cell phones.

In Czech:
    150: Fire brigade
    155: Ambulance
    158: Police
    112: any emergency, especially for cell phones.
  39. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

It could just as easily have been MOM or MOO. :) Each number from 2 through 9 had three (or four) letters assigned to it. The number 6 had M, N, and O. People spelled words with different letters even when the numbers repeated.
  40. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    999 in Hong Kong, certainly. There's another that starts with 1, but I can't remember it.
  41. Nipnip Senior Member

066 in Mexico, dialing 911 will get you through in some locations.
  42. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

We have 113 as an emergency number, too. Dial 113 if you want to call the police; 114 to call fire brigades; and 115 to call ambulances.
  43. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish

They must have - it is to my knowledge at the least an EU regulation and every gsm-phone has the number in the firmware so that you can reach emergency services even without a SIM-card or with an account that does not allow international roaming.

Almost every country also have other additional emergency numbers. In Spain I will reach an emergency dispatcher on 112, but if I know for sure whether I want to call the Policia Nacional, Policia Local or Guardia Civil there are extra numbers for that.

And in Denmark they even have a special number for environmental emergencies - I think it is 114.
  44. Minnie121728

Minnie121728 Senior Member

Santo Domingo
    We are introducing 911 too in Dominican Republic, for all these services; ambulance, police, firefighters, etc.-
  45. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I don't think so. That would be 58775864, at least on American phones. I assume the letter assignment to each key is international.
  46. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Regnum Sussaxonum
    UK English
    We have 112 in the UK as well as 999 (whichever number you dial puts you through to the same place)
  47. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    Ireland is exactly the same (shocking I know!).
  48. StefKE

StefKE Senior Member

French - Belgium
    In Belgium, we have 112. But I think the old numbers still exist, like 101 for the police and 100 for an ambulance (I think...). In my opinion, having several numbers makes it confusing.
  49. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    Waht is confusing about using the cover-it-all 112? Nobody says you need to use the others.
  50. Kaxgufen

Kaxgufen Senior Member

La Plata, Argentina
    Castellano de Argentina
    El 107, emergencias médicas.
    El 106, emergencias náuticas.
    El 100, los bomberos.
    Y está el 911 (Policía) que también centraliza los otros llamados.

Por ejemplo si hay un incendio se puede llamar al 100, pero si hay un incendio y un quemado, deberíamos llamar al 100 y al 107, entonces se llama al 911 y ellos distribuyen los pedidos.
    El 911 se instauró tiempo después del tema de las torres y nos hicieron creer que en todo el mundo era lo mismo.