1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Emotional meteorology?

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I suppose sun is linked with good humour in many languages. Just like wind or storm and rage, anger. But I suppose not as metaphors really.

Whereas in Dutch we can use buien, showers, not only to refer to short periods of heavy rain, but also to periods of rage, ...: woedebuien, 'rage showers'.

So do you have any of these combinations (emotion + meteo phenomenon) in your language?

2. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    That's the first time I hear about it, would you happen to have an example of a language that links the sun with good humour?

Well, all I can think of in Greek, is:

1/ «Μπουμπουνίζω» [bubu'nizo] --> to thunder, boom (onomatopoeic colloquial v. mimicking the noise of thunder). E.g. «Tα μπουμπούνισε κι έφυγε» [ta bu'bunise ci 'efiʝe] --> s/he thundered (i.e. s/he shot up anger/displeasure like a thunder) and left
    2/ «Αστράφτω και βροντώ» [a'strafto ce vron'do] --> to flash and thunder (again describes anger).

v. «αστράφτω» [a'strafto] --> to flash < Classical Gr. v. «ἀστράπτω» ăstráptō and «ἀστρόπτω» ăstróptō --> to flash or glance like lightning < Classical fem. noun «ἀστραπὴ» ăstrāpḕ and «ἀστεροπὴ» ăstĕrŏpḕ --> lightning (with obscure etymology).
    v. «βροντώ» [vron'do] --> to thunder < Classical Gr. fem. noun «βροντὴ» brŏntḕ --> thunder < Classical Gr. v. «βρέμω» brémō --> to roar, grumble (onomatopoeic)

3/ «Συννεφιάζω» [sine'fçazo] --> to wear a gloomy look, be clouded over < Classical Gr. v. «συννέφω» sŭnnépʰō --> to wear a dark and gloomy look < compound, prefix and preposition «σύν» sún, Attic «ξύν» ksún --> in company with, together with, including (with unknown etymology) + neuter noun «νέφος» népʰŏs --> cloud (PIE *nebʰ-s, cloud cf Skt. नभस् (nAbhas), mist; Lat. nebula, fog, cloud > It. nebbia, Sp. niebla, Por. névoa, Rom. negură; OCS нєбо (nebo) > Rus. небо (nebo); Proto-Germanic *nebulaz > Ger. Nebel).

3. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

I remember these words in Tagalog; 1.) Daluyong= Flow + Powerful sound vibration. It is the word for "passage of great flood" and maybe "Daluyong ng Damdamin" (coming anger etc). 2.) Ugong= sound vibration from the depth or outer space. In poems, the shout of anger is sometimes compared to "ugong". 3.)Kulog at kidlat (thunder and lightning) - when the God in heaven speaks the sounds can be compared to Thunder and lightning. 4.) Unos= catastrophic wind and sudden changes in climate. The wrong decisions of humans is the reason why UNOS will happen in the future. The emotions of supernatural beings are usually compared to these unexpected events but in our present period people are not aware about the meaning and messages of the sounds of Nature.

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I think in English one could say one is in a sunny mood.In Dutch we can at least...

5. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic, the word غيوم /ghoyoom/ "dark clouds" is sometimes used to mean "difficulties, challenges"

In Egypt, we use the expression زعابيب أمشير /za'abeeb amshir/ "Amshir's stormy and unpredictable weather" to mean "rage". (Amshir is the sixth month of the Egyptian Calendar, lies between 8 February and 9 March)

6. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    We use words like kızgın (angry, very hot), deli (mad, insane, crazy), keskin (sharp), gülen (smiling, laughing) when talking about certain weather conditions.

Some words we use also have emotional meanings that are forgotten over time.

I mean for example

gök gürültüsü : sky noise-ramble (thunder)

gürültü probably comes from *ur which gave rise to the word korku< uruk (horror, fear)

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    The link between 'angry' and 'hot' in Turkish is interesting (we might have something like heet van woede, 'hot with anger' and similar expressions), but do I understand that you use the anthropological features to refer to the weather? I had always thought we used the meteo features to refer to our feelings... But in Turkish then the starting-point seems to be the human qualities, I gather.

I just checked 'fear' in English, and related words in other Germanic languages, but there the origin seems to have to do with trying, taking risks, nothing nature-like, only human. So this difference seems noteworthy indeed.

Arabic on the other hand seems to use the weather as a metaphor, which is what i had expected. (Thanks)

8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    For those interested (and wanting a more concise question): can you say things like an 'anger storm', 'temper shower', ... ?

Just today by the way I happen to read at VisualThesaurus.com:
    ... and I thought: it would therefore not be that strange if the similarity between mood and meteorology inspired us to combine both... A French rapper, Manu Militari, sings:
    Both rage and thunderstorms imply violence of course, but the orage seems to refer to aura, wind, so I discover, not to rage.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  9. SuperXW Senior Member

Sure. I think most language would link weather with moods. In Chinese too, if we want to describe a person's mood is unpredictable, we can say it's 阴晴不定. "Switched between cloudy and sunny".

There are many other proverbs in Chinese:
    暴跳如雷 jumping angrily like a thunder!
    如沐春风 like bathing in the spring wind - to describe a pleasant mood.
    梨花带雨 pear blossom bathed in the rain - to describe a weeping beauty.

I can think of more, even though some of these are not exactly describing moods:
    雷厉风行 act like thunder and wind - to describe a very vigorous and decisive person. (positive)
    春风化雨 spring wind and moderate rain - to describe a good way of education.
    夕阳 the setting sun - to describe the elderly
    There's a lot~

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I love the bathing expressions ! ;-)

11. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    Some German expressions:
    - sie hat ein sonniges Gemüt - lit.: 'she has a sunny character, mindset, mind, mentality'
    - sie hat ein stürmisches Temperament - lit.: 'she has a stormy temperament'
    - das gibt ein Donnerwetter - lit.: 'that will lead to a thunderstorm' (i.e. trouble)
    - politisches Donnerwetter - lit.: 'political thunderstorm'

12. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks. I also wonder about the outbursts of anger, temper tantrums, which remind us of showers of rain, snow (regenbuien, sneeuwbuien) : they are all intense and fairly unpleasant but short... No weather phenomena for that?

13. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    Perhaps I could add:
    - ein Sturm der Entrüstung - lit. 'a storm of anger'
    - Es hagelte Kritik - lit. 'It was hailing criticism'

A more cheerful one:
    - eine frische Brise - 'a fresh breeze'

14. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks again!

15. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian -- we are wind-oriented, I can remember only "viharos" (stormy) & "szeles" (windy)

16. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Never blown away yet? ;-) Nothing with sun, clouds, showers

17. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    sunny is napos, cloudy is felhős, showery esős - no I cannot recall any