1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Emperor Nasty-Pants

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Inculte, May 1, 2012.

1. Inculte Junior Member

Français - France
    I'm stucked with this one :
    "Emperor Nasty-Pants erupted with wile-smelling vapors the whole time, waking bright-eyed, jubilant with the triumph of a new day, just as Drummond fell back into an uneasy doze."

The character has been sleeping in a "hotel" (this takes place in the 17th century).

I guess it must be some kind of metaphor for or reference to the sun, right ?

If someone has an explanation, it would be a relief !

2. bdubow New Member

english - U.K
    The character wakes up feeling very happy and full of life at the same time as 'Drummond' falls into an unsatisfying sleep.

Does that help at all?

3. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    If it refers to the sun, it's not very obvious... is there not some other character in the story it could refer to??

4. Inculte Junior Member

Français - France
    Oh... I'm totally lost now.
    The character IS Drummond. We know he's been in this kind of tavern, "sleeping alongside a loutish sail captain".
    And then there is this sentence. Could the "Emperor Nasty-Pants" be related to the "loutish captain" anyhow ?...
    I guess I'll have to ask the author...

5. Jmus Junior Member

Canada
    English
    First, I have to say that this is one of the most bizarre sentences I've read in a while, and I would love to read that book. :)

Second, and this interpretation may be completely off, I think that 'Emperor Nasty-Pants' would refer to the loutish captain, who probably took up most of the bed (like an emperor who thinks everything belongs to him) and that he had very smelly gas emissions from his 'pants' throughout the night while he slept. The smell and the lack of space in the bed meant that Drummond did not get much sleep at all - but the captain slept well and awoke refreshed.

Hope this helps.

6. Inculte Junior Member

Français - France
    Thanx Jmus, tahts helps indeed !

7. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    l'empereur Pètensoie/Puduku ?

8. Inculte Junior Member

Français - France
    Nice shot, archijacq !
    I like "Empereur Puduku", but I'm afraid it's a bit too gross.

L'Empereur Crotte-au-Cul ?

9. archijacq Senior Member

Albi
    french France
    aussi: Empereur Foirole (nom populaire de la mercuriale)

Mercuriale vivace, Mercuriale pérenne, chou de chien, cynocrambe, Foirole, caquenlit, chiole, cagarelle,