1. patisserie87 Senior Member

Hello everyone,
    Can I say "That manager is ahead of its time because he has got many good ideas for his company", to explain that he is in advance for instance, that he has better ideas than the competitors... I know it is an idiom but the "its" bothers me, as we talk about someone and not something. Should I say "he is ahead of his time ", as well as "I am ahead of my time" ?
    Thank you very much for your answers,
  2. CarlosRapido

CarlosRapido Senior Member

Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    "he is ahead of his time ":tick: its (possessive form of it) is and indefinite pronoun that cannot be applied to persons, you are quite right.

Edit; I just learned that 'it' may be used for a toddler of indeterminate gender...goes to show...:eek:
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. patisserie87 Senior Member

Thank you CarlosRapido,I've just found another example in the WR pages "The company prides itself to bringing products to market that are ahead of their time". So you were right, you must match the idiom with the subject. Thank you !
  4. waltern Senior Member

English - USA
    While you can use "ahead of his/her time" to refer to someone in the present, you most often hear it used to refer to someone from the past whose ideas (which, in hindsight, proved to be correct) were not widely accepted by his or her contemporaries.
  5. patisserie87 Senior Member

Thank you, Waltern !