En algún lugar de la Mancha

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Wannalearnspanish, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Wannalearnspanish Junior Member

English USA
    Can someone help me with translation? This was a caption under a picture of a friend holding a drink up and smiling. I get the first part... ''In some place" but de la mancha doesn't make sense to me. Any suggestions?

2. Bambam Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    "En un lugar de La Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo, de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor" (The beginning of Don Quijote de la Mancha, the most popular spanish book written).

La Mancha is an area of Spain.

Regards!

3. QUIJOTE Senior Member

USA
    This is the begining of the famous book from Miguel de Cervantes "Don Quixote de La Mancha" (I should know that eh?)

It goes "in a certain place of "La mancha" which name I rather not remember....or words to that effect.

Good stuff

4. jess oh seven

jess oh seven Senior Member

Scotland
    UK/US, English
    La Mancha is a region in Spain (Castilla-La Mancha)

5. Philippa

Philippa Senior Member

Reading
    Britain - English
    Hello!
    It's a sort of quote from the first line of the book 'Don Quijote de la Mancha' by Cervantes:
    La Mancha is a fairly central, dry, typical (to me, at least!!) area of Spain (see wikipedia again)

So maybe your caption is saying something like: in some place in traditional Spain....

Hope this helps and good luck with learning Spanish!
    Philippa :)

6. Wannalearnspanish Junior Member

English USA
    Well, he captioned a picture of himself "More than words" then the saying was underneath. He is obviously comparing himself to Don Quixote jejeje. Once I become fluent enough in Spanish (and I plan to), I will read the book! Thank you all very much for enlightening me!

7. Bambam Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    You`re welcome!

Bye bye!

8. lfuente New Member

Spain, Spanish
    Hace tiempo, leí de la traducción al inglés del libro lo siguiente:

"Somewhere in la Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember"

Desconozco si hay varias traducciones, pero creo recordar que éstas eran las palabras exactas.