1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

EN: auxquelles ils appartiennent

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Tipsy, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Tipsy New Member

France - Français
    Dear all,

I know there is a plenty of examples using "auxquels", but not mine :).
    The sentence I'm trying to write is as follow :

"[...] change those individuals, and so populations and communities they belong to."
    "[...] change those individuals, and so populations and communities to which they belong."

The idea is : "individuals changes, and as they belong to populations and communities, both (populations and communities) change also. In french, it's :

"[...] changent ces individus, et donc les populations et communautés auxquelles ils appartiennent".

Thank you for your advices.

2. tizzfitz

tizzfitz Junior Member

I don't get what you're asking since the french translation you gave seems perfect to me. Good. :)

3. Tipsy New Member

France - Français
    Thank you. Actually, I'm french :). I look for my translation in english, but I understand it wasn't really clear in my previous message.

"It changes the individuals, and so populations and communities to which they belong".
    or, my second try is :
    "It changes the individuals, and so populations and communities they belong to".

Both sound pretty good for me, but I'd like to know which of these sentences sound the most natural.

Thank you.

4. tizzfitz

tizzfitz Junior Member

I think the second sentence sounds better, but, well, I'm not native english. ;-)

5. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    est-ce que ce ne serait pas : ... "communities, which they belong to" ?

6. moustic Senior Member

near Limoges
    British English
    Both are possible:

It changes the individuals, and consequently the populations and communities to which they belong. -> more formal

It changes the individuals, and consequently the populations and communities that / which they belong to. -> a bit less formal

7. Tipsy New Member

France - Français
    Thank you all.
    It's exactly what I was looking for.

8. Raynes Junior Member

English- UK
    Use Moustic's first example. You might say the second in conversation, but you wouldn't write it. Also 'it' is a bit blunt for a first word. 'This' would be better, assuming that makes sense with the preceding sentence.