en conséquence vs. par conséquent

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Rex, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Rex

Rex Senior Member

AUSTRALIA: English
    Dear friends
    Equeule has suggested I raise this as a separate thread.
    In this passage from my Crusoe essay, is there any difference between these ways of expresing the ideas of "accordingly/ consequently"?
    "Cela l’a mis en colère, et en conséquence/par conséquent il a tiré plusieurs coups supplementaires, et a tué trois oiseaux. "

2. greeeg Junior Member

It's the same meaning, but "par conséquent" seems to best fit in this sentence... It just sounds better...

3. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    greeeg, do you think you can elaborate? Does 'en conséquence' sound more appropriate, perhaps, if it's used to start a new sentence?

Cela l’a mis en colère. En conséquence il a tiré plusieurs coups supplémentaires.

Also, does the following sound ok?

Cela l’a mis en colère et il a tiré en conséquence plusieurs coups supplémentaires.

4. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

You're right E-J. En conséquence is more generally used to start a new sentence. Between two commas, you'd more likely use par conséquent.
    Cela l'a mis en colère et, par conséquent, il a tiré plusieurs coups de feu supplémentaires.

Another reason why en conséquence doesn't quite fit is euphony. If you use it, you get an "et en" hiatus which doesn't sound very nice.

Third reason : register.
    From the least to the most formal
    Donc
    Par conséquent
    En conséquence

I'd recommend to use donc most of the time except if you want to sound more formal or if you want to avoid a repetition.

EDIT
    Note that alors, du coup and... nothing.. are other alternatives
    ça l'a mis en colère, alors il a tiré plusieurs coups supplémentaires
    ça l'a mis en colère et, du coup, il a tiré...
    ça la mis en colère et il a tiré.....
    As you can see, with "alors" you don't need "'et"

In this precise sentence alors or just et would be my favorite.