1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. orphanpiglet Junior Member

English - British/New Zealand
    [FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I'm not quite sure what the clause beginning with "en consecuencia de" is referring to in the following phrase:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"Pone de manifiesto, al contrario, que tratándose del derecho a la vida de los migrantes, y en consecuencia de un derecho humano fundamental, la situación en 2009 es tan dramática, si no aún más, que como estaba a principios de la década actual."
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    It seems to me the whole sentence would be clearer if simplified in translation, but I am afraid I may have misunderstood. Could anyone tell me if the following is a correct interpretation?
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"On the other hand, it shows that where the migrants’ fundamental human right to life is concerned, the situation in 2009 is as dramatic, if not more, than it was at the beginning of the decade."[/FONT]

Thank you very much!
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

2. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain / incorrect Spanish
    Believe it or not, I'm not sure of the meaning myself, and I'm a native!

"en consecuencia de" is not a common expression... I suppose that "en consecuencia de un derecho humano fundamental" is equivalent to "al ser un derecho humano fundamental".

3. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    I think it refers to this:

En consecuencia de - In accordance// line with.

4. corguisa Junior Member

El Salvador
    Latin Spanish, English
    It means due to.... or in consequence of....

5. orphanpiglet Junior Member

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions :)

6. pablocombiano

pablocombiano Junior Member

Colombia
    English-US
    que tratándose del derecho a la vida de los migrantes, y en consecuencia de un derecho humano fundamental

I realize that you guys have resolved this, but if anyone else could comment on my translation it'd be cool.

I translated it as a matter of emphasis, like "in regard to the migrants' right o life, and therefore a matter of fundamental human rights.

what do you think?

7. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    I think "therefore" is the most accurate translation. But the structure of the original sentence is complicated; the "de" doesn't belong to "en consecuencia", but to "tratándose". Maybe it looks clearer this way:
    ...when it comes to dealing with the migrants' right of life, and therefore with a fundamental human right...
    "

8. corguisa Junior Member

El Salvador
    Latin Spanish, English
    Pablo yo diría... no sé que piensas??

in regard to the migrant's right of life and consequently a fundamental human right
    Veamos mas opiniones...

9. orphanpiglet Junior Member

Ah! The "de" belongs to "tratándose".... that makes the whole thing much clearer, thanks maidinbedlam :)

10. pablocombiano

pablocombiano Junior Member

Colombia
    English-US
    aahh, with a little more thought, and corguisa's post, I think the original poster is absolutely right. It should be simplified as "in regard to the migrants' fundamental right to life" the extra emphasis just confuses it.

Am i off base?