EN: convaincu par cette idée

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Mayli, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mayli Junior Member

Paris
    France, Francais
    Hello,
    I'm trying to find out whether it is OK in English to start a sentence with "Convinced by this idea, I plan to......" or "Determined by this objective, we are..". This is possible in French. For example: "Convaincu de l'importance de cette chose, il est nécessaire..."
    In other words, I'm trying to understand whether we can start a sentence with a past participle phrase as it is possible in French.
    It is even more important as I was actually planning to start my cover letter as such..
    Many thanks for your help!

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    It is grammatically acceptable, but stylistically, I would strongly advise you to choose a different structure.

That structure is extremely narrative in style, and it is most appropriate when you have already presented and explained the idea/objective/etc. in question. Using the structure to present the idea in the first place relegates both the idea and your belief in it to secondary status; indeed, the structure is superfluous from a syntactical and grammatical standpoint. An aside is not a strong way to start a cover letter. ;)

3. Mayli Junior Member

Paris
    France, Francais
    Belated thanks for this Jann! very good to know as I would naturally tend to you this structure a lot, but will be careful with it from now on!

4. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    I fully agree that it wouldn't be a good way to start a cover letter. But it's a construction that is quite often used in, as jann says, narrative style. An example: "The storm worsened. Blinded by a flash of lightning, Peter missed his footing and fell."

Ws:)

5. Mayli Junior Member

Paris
    France, Francais
    ok, I see, that's very good to know.
    Many thanks!