EN: Elle aura du mal à faire oublier cette affaire

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Frankiki, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Frankiki

Frankiki Junior Member

Bordeaux
    French
    Hello there! I need some help, no matter how I look at it I just cannot find a suitable translation for this french sentence.. I've tried : this is gonna be hard for Alizée to make this forgotten, Alizée's gonna have a hard time to make this forgotten ... but it just doesn't sound okay... :/

2. Jeanne75 Senior Member

French - France
    Hello,

The beginning of your translations are ok. But in the end of the sentence you use passive and that does not work in my view.

Maybe:

to get people to forget this case / story / whatever...

to bring this (whatever) out of people's minds.

Cheers

3. stickyfloor Senior Member

Mexico
    English - Vancouver, Canada
    You could also perhaps say: "cover up" but without more context it's hard to say if it is correct.

4. spirite Senior Member

southwestern Virginia
    English - USA
    It seems more natural to say "It's..." rather than "This..."

I agree that "to get people to forget" is probably the closest. Just a little note that in the actual sentence, you need the participle "getting" rather than the infinitive. I have never been able to explain why sometimes it's correct in English to use an infinitive but more often it's correct to use a participle. In this case, maybe it's because it's the third verb in the sentence.