en espérant que ma candidature...

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by verowyn, May 24, 2009.

1. verowyn Junior Member

Français - France
    Hi!

I'm writing a motivation letter for a Master Program.
    This is what I would say in French to end my letter:

En espérant que ma candidature retiendra votre attention, je vous prie d'agréer, Monsieur, mes sincères salutations.

Would it be correct to say it so in English:

I hope my application will retain your attention.
    Yours sincerely,

(It's so much more direct I fear it's not polite enough.)

Thank you for your help!

2. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Don't worry, Verowyn, English letters end far more abruptly than French ones.

Your effort here is even too long. I'd suggest: Yours sincerely...

That's right, cut the entire "En espérant que ma candidature retiendra votre attention, je vous prie d'agréer, Monsieur," we just don't say that sort of thing.

At most: "I look forward to hearing from you."

3. verowyn Junior Member

Français - France
    Thank you so much!

If I use the "I hope to hear from you soon", should I keep the "yours sincerely" too, or is too much?

(Well, I can't say it's a bad thing english letters end this way, it's a lot simpler, and probably less hypocritical...)

4. ascoltate

ascoltate Senior Member

Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English

You need a closing sentence, so yes. The last sentence of the last paragraph would be:

"I look forward to hearing from you soon."

And then you would write "Sincerely"/"Yours truly" (or whatever...) on a separate line (depending on the formatting style you use, you may follow it with a comma or with nothing). Then you leave a few spaces for your signature and write your name.