EN: husk / PT: casca

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by xari, Mar 30, 2013.

1. xari Junior Member

portuguese
    Is it possible that these two words are cognates? They share some of their meanings and they look very similar, not to mention that rule of /k/ in Latin becoming /h/ in Germanic.

However the Estraviz dictionary attributes PT: casca to Basque: kaska, while the Priberam gives no etymological entry. Etymonline says "husk" is of unknown origin, but possibly related to "house".

2. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    It seems unlikely.
    The American Heritage Dictionary derives "husk" from "Middle English husk(e),
    probably from Middle Dutch hūskijn, diminutive of hūs 'house', from [proto-]Germanic hūsam (unattested), 'house'."
    Meanwhile (assuming Port. casca is cognate with similar words in Spanish),
    the Corominas dictionary derives Sp. casco 'helmet' and cáscara 'nutshell' from the verb cascar 'to crack',
    and that from an unattested Vulgar Latin *quassicāre, derived from Lat. quassāre 'to shake or shatter'.

3. Triginta Septem Junior Member

Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    English - America
    I actually decided to go through my Spanish-English dictionary a bit ago and see if I could find any PIE cognates. I was sure this was one, too, but I never found a link, and as you both have said, they are believed to have different roots, so I guess it's just coincidence.