EN: insensé de ta part

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Goldsand, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Goldsand Member

Je voudrais savoir si on dit en anglais '.. of you to ...' ou '.. from you to ..'
    example :

C'était insensé de ta part de lui donner la clé de la voiture.

It was carelessly of you (from you) to give him the car key.

Merci beaucoup pour vos suggestions.
  2. newg

newg Senior Member

London, UK

On devra utiliser 'of you to' et non 'from you to'.

Je suggère que tu fasses une recherche dans WR pour le mot 'insensé'. Carelessly est un adverbe alors que dans ta phrase en français, tu as un adjectif :)
  3. Goldsand Member

Merci beaucoup pour ta reponse rapide.
  4. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    On peut aussi utiliser "for you to."

Le remarque que "carelessly" est un adverbe et "careless" un adjectif est bien apropos ; d'autre part, "careless" ne traduit pas "insensé."
  5. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I don't think so. When we say "it was careless/etc. of you to do X," it's a personal criticism. It wasn't just careless, it was careless of you. The implication is that you, with your knowledge and judgement, should have known better. This corresponds well with the French de ta part.

When we say "it was careless for you to do X," the personal criticism is significantly weakened, essentially equivalent to saying "doing X was careless" or "the fact that you did X was careless." It's not the statement isn't a reproach, but the idea "From you of all people, I expected better" isn't really there. In that case, the de ta part would simply be omitted in French.

So here I defintely prefer:

c'était insensé de ta part de lui donner la clé de la voiture
    = it was ill-considered (foolish, stupid, irresponsible) of you...
  6. Goldsand Member

Merci pour les précisions.

J'ai aussi trouver le mot en anglais «insane » pour insensé !
    Je pense que la phrase « It was insane of you... » me parait aussi correct ...

En outre «de ta part » en anglais pourrai-je aussi le traduire par
    « It was insane of your part to give him the car key. »

que pensez-vous.

7. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Moi, je dirais "of you", pas "of your part", Goldsand.
  8. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    I see jann's argument, although I myself A) do not draw the same rigorous distinction between "of you" and "for you" and B) find "for you" in general more colloquial than "of you."

Thanks, jann, for explaining the distinction so clearly. There's some paper by JL Austin where he explores the difference between "to be mistaken in doing something" and "to make a mistake in doing something," and your comment reminded me of that. I'll have to start paying more attention to these little differences!
  9. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I definitely agree with you that "for you" sounds more colloquial. :)

I wouldn't use "insane" here; it's not natural and the meaning isn't quite right. When talking about poor judgement, we don't generally refer to insanity (la démence) except as a legal argument.

If you're looking for a very strong condemnation, it was ill-considered and irresponsible of you has the weight of relative formality. A less formal but equally strong version would be it was incredibly stupid of you...