EN: It follows that an abiding theme is

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by A-class-act, Mar 27, 2013.

1. A-class-act Senior Member

Near to my luggage,and ready to travel.
    Arabic,and French"biracial boy"
    Bonsoir!

I'm not a native, but the phrase "It follows that an abiding theme of Western history is a weakening of religion's power." seems odd to me.

I think what makes it odd is that and is, they should be omitted, don't they?

2. Tochka Senior Member

The subject of the clause is "an abiding theme" which takes the third person singular verb, "is".
    The words "It follows that" merely introduce the clause.
    If "they" and "is" were omitted, the sentence would make no sense.

It follows that... = On peut (en) déduire que...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  3. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    The sentence structure is correct. In this context it follows that.. is grammatically similar to the French il s'ensuit que..., even that isn't always the best translation.
    It does not refer to something specific here.

4. badayley New Member

English
    Usually, phrases like this are used to say something to the effect of, "Because of the logic used in the previous sentence / example, we can conclude that ____." And in the blank is inserted a complete clause expressing what can be concluded.
    "It follows that an abiding theme of Western history is a weakening of religion's power."
    So, in your sentence, we might rewrite with all of the implied information to have something like, "The conclusion that follows is that an abiding theme of Western history is a weakening of religion's power." The writing in both of these sentences is not particularly strong but is technically correct.